Thread: N46/j46

Thanks

N46/j46

What's the diff between an N46 and J46 mower deck? tanks, john

2. # ADS
    CCI Ads

Thanks

Re: N46/j46

If you really want to know in detail I suggest you look at the parts manuals and you can see what parts are different--not many. The J model was the first deck with the redesigned tractors that had quick connect pins for installing the mower deck. A number of minor improvements were made subsequently and each time they changed the letter from J to K up to N. From a practical standpoint the only really noticeable difference is the chute guard which originally was just an extension of the deck. When the hydravacs were introduced they made a removable guard so that the vac boot could be bolted on.

Super Moderator InTroubleAlltheTime's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dwag
    What's the diff between an N46 and J46 mower deck? tanks, john
    John: I have one of each but I can't compare them side by side because they are separated by 350 miles. I believe they are very similar and both left discharge and would be suitable for most of the series 200-400 Case and series 200-400 Case/Ingersolls, but not the newer Ingersolls (different rotation). I believe the N46 is for the most part, simply a later manufacture of the J46.
    Best Regards, Rich

Super Moderator InTroubleAlltheTime's Avatar
    Thanks

Add model 224 and up for 46" deck.
    Best Regards, Rich

Thanks

Thanks for reply's. Pics of deck I'm looking at appears to be pretty straight, but missing discharge chute. My J46 is very rough but does a decent job mowing.

Site Founder
    Thanks

I don't like to disagree with my lovely girlfriend Bart but the H deck is actually the very first Snap Fast model. It was introduced in 1971.

The biggest difference between your J deck and the N deck is that the N deck has a removable discharge chute to allow the boot for the Hydra-Bagger or Hydra-Vac to bolt on. The chute on your J-deck is welded on. The chute assembly for the N-deck often gets tucked away in the garage somewhere and is not retrieved when the tractor gets sold years later. If you have any intention of adding either the Bagger or the Vac to your tractor, then the N deck is for you. A new discharge chute can be fabricated for now.

Thanks

You may find the N-46 to have Aluminum Spindles instead of the J-46 Cast Iron Spindles. The only nice thing with the Aluminum was it made the deck lighter, other than that they just plain sucked! Replacements are Cast Iron and highly preferred.