Quantcast
Replacing Caster Wheels & Shoulder Bolts on a Case J46 Deck.

Thanks

Replacing Caster Wheels & Shoulder Bolts on a Case J46 Deck.

It is important to keep these wheels tight for a even cut and to reduce stress on the other linkage parts. As they loosen up the edges rub against the bracket the wheel is bolted to and wears a groove in the metal causing a potential costly repair or at the least a weaker bracket.
    To replace your deck wheels and shoulder bolts you'll need the following...
    1. 9/16" & 3/4" wrench.
    2. Greese gun or a oil can.
    3. Two new Shoulder Bolts Parts # IC16745
    4. Two new 6" Wheels. John Deere Part #72-307 or Ingersoll equivalent. The JD wheels have the metal bushing in the center that I prefer.
    5. Two or four shim washers depending on how loose you prefer them on the bolt. I like the minimum amount of play so I used four washers. Two on each side of each wheel.

When all the tools and parts are together...
    Simply remove each wheel replacing it with the new parts. I spread out some greese on the shoulder bolt when assembling the new ones in place or oil heavily.
    When tightening them up be sure the wheel still moves freely with no binding always error on the loose side.
    Always put the wheels to the inside.

This is a 15 minute job and is so easy even a Caveman can do it.

Everything used for the swap...
    New parts on top old on bottom.

Part numbers...
    Wheels

Shoulder Bolts

Close-up photo of the new and old shoulder bolts...
    Note the wear is heaviest on the outer edges and is thickest in the middle area. Had these been oiled before each use this could have been prevented or significantly reduced since the oil is mostly concentrated on the outside edges.

The strange thing is the shoulder bolt was wore and the original wheels were still good to use. I could have simply replaced the shoulder bolts and reused the old wheels. This is a rare accurance.
    All the above parts were bought from Bob here... http://www.casegardentractorparts.com/

2. # ADS
    CCI Ads

Thanks

Re: Replacing Caster Wheels & Shoulder Bolts on a Case J46 D

Nice explanation mjoe7!
    I thought I would try something last time I did this and decided to drill out the center of the shoulder bolt with a small bit (like a 3/32 or so) to about the center of the wheel and then drilled radially to provide a passage from the bolt head to the center of the wheel bushing. I then drilled/tapped the bolt head so I could install a grease nipple. I do not know if this would increase the life span of the bolt/wheel since i only did this last year, but it only took minutes on my drill press and I can now get grease between the bolt and wheel bushing easily and anytime I wish.

Site Founder
    Thanks

Mad Mackie did this mod on the tractor decks he uses in his lawn cutting business several years ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fjmg
    Nice explanation mjoe7!
    I thought I would try something last time I did this and decided to drill out the center of the shoulder bolt with a small bit (like a 3/32 or so) to about the center of the wheel and then drilled radially to provide a passage from the bolt head to the center of the wheel bushing. I then drilled/tapped the bolt head so I could install a grease nipple. I do not know if this would increase the life span of the bolt/wheel since i only did this last year, but it only took minutes on my drill press and I can now get grease between the bolt and wheel bushing easily and anytime I wish.
    That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure I have the best setup for drilling that level and straight enough. I thought of drilling a hole in the wheel for a zerk on an angle, but truth is these will last me a long time. I mow a little over 1 acre that is pretty easy on the deck.
    Thanks for the idea though. I might try it on my L46 rebuild.

Thanks

I just used a cheap bench style drill press and vise with some average steel bits (read $25 for a set from 1/16" to 1/2"), I am sure I could do the same with a vise and a hand drill. Keep in mind you only need to drill a little better than an inch max (less is still better than none) and really if you are little on an angle i doubt it would be dettrimental.