Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

2 stage snowblower?

30K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  Hydriv 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever hooked up a 2 stage snow blower to a 448 or do they even offer a 2 stage snowblower for them? The single stage blower (snowcaster) seems a little under powered for me... or maybe there is just some adjusting I need to do with it. Any ideas would be great!

#4 ·
I don't understand the reference to under powered. Your tractor should be operating at wide open throttle while blowing.

As Brian stated, there are a few tricks to setting up a caster to run at maximum efficiency. Issues that may affect performance include but not limited to:
worn out/slipping belt, out of adjustment clutch, rusted auger housing, worn out/rusted chain, bad bearings in auger or drive shaft.

Several members including myself own Berco 2 stage snowblowers. A specific mule drive is required to run the Berco 2 stage on a 3 digit or 4 digit tractor. I'm sure Brian could either set you up with one or get you in touch with someone who would. I love my Berco (currently set up on a 4020) but the single stage Case/Ingersoll blowers work great as well.

#7 ·
I think the advantage I prefer of the single stage is that it's light weight and heavy wet snow seams to pass through them better. Just my experience.

I don't recall Case ever making a 2 stage. :headscratcher: The old Colts and Case's had 2 stage blowers available, but I'm not sure that Case made them. I think it was Lambert Mfg. that made them.

#12 ·
As was mentioned earlier, the Case/Ingersoll single stage snowcasters like to be kept full. Hi range will generally satisfy that better, and there is almost no HP lost to the travel motor when snowblowing.

I always snowblow in high range ... running speed that keeps the engine lugging at least a bit due to the load of snow in the blower.

Brian

#13 ·
If I recall correctly, Dan Haas adapted an Ariens 2 stage blower to his Case 400 Series. I don't recall him every stating that is was a huge improvement over the snocaster. I believe that Dan sold that unit on e-Bay. I guess if it was really a better blower, he would have kept it.

So to answer your question........Yes... it's possible to use a two-stage blower on a Case but.....you need to choose wisely because not all 2-stage blowers are created equally.

#14 ·
mikebramel said:
Two stages are over rated. Biggest improvement on a well functioning blower is the rubber on the paddle
I know this mod has been discussed before, but does anyone have pics of this illusive 'rubber paddle mod'? I think I understand the concept, but I am one of those visually-oriented types who learns best by seeing. I also enjoy Saturday morning cartoons. :grin:
Troll

#15 ·
Well I think my first problem was that I was not running at full throttle, and I will check my, chain bearing, which I believe are good but I do believe I wil replace my belt because it is showing signs or wear. I just saw all these peoples tractors doing good over the last major snow falls and mine I put back in the garage and got my walk behind out..... glad it is fixable :clap:

#16 ·
Let's see if my words can conjure up a vision in your mind that will answer your query.

The snocaster has an auger with two paddles in the center of it.

A piece of 1/4" thick conveyor belting gets cut into a shape that emulates the paddle.

The ragged ends of the paddles are gently cleaned up with a grinder or sander or flat file and then paint is applied to seal up the raw steel.

The rubber paddle is then applied to steel paddle so that it slightly extends the tip of the steel paddle. The rubber paddle is bolted securely into place. The auger is then rotated to determine which areas of the rubber paddle are now interfering with the housing and/or chute. A thin cut-off disc is used to carefully remove the offending parts of the rubber extension and gently grind it into shape until it perfectly conforms with the rear and upper areas of the housing, thus closing off all areas of escape for the snow being hurled.

It is alway best to make several pairs of these paddles because they will need to be replaced every now and then.

#17 ·
This is the basic idea behind the rubber extensions to an impeller or paddle. You can install it to the center paddles of a single stage to achieve the same results. I have done this to three Craftsman 2 stage blowers that I have and have gotten great results. I also did it on my 38" Snowcaster, although haven't had significant enough snow to try it out.

http://smllengns.tripod.com

Regards,
Nolan

#22 ·
brohnson said:
Thanks a lot guys I think I am going to try what Nolan advised! sounds like a great thing to have anyways. Also I cant find what size my belt is in my owners manual for my snowcaster, does anyone know? Its a model, "S84" serial # "CF31113"
Library indicates the ever popular C23539 belt for that blower on 400 series tractors

#23 ·
Tim, I didn't document any of my installations, but here is a guy that did the basic same thing using readily available materials. He has a 4 part series, but I think you can get a feel for it without watching all 4. My first kit was purchased from Clarence, however I just fabricated my own after that. 2 stage are a bit more difficult due the fact of having to access the impeller blades down through the chute housing. It can be done though, utilizing a long drill bit for drilling. Single stage are much easier. You only need to install rubber on the very center of the auger where the opposing blades flip the snow up and out of the auger housing, There are only 2 paddles that need to be modified. I'll search for some pics or videos for you and post whatever I find.

Regards,
Nolan

#24 ·
troll said:
mikebramel said:
Two stages are over rated. Biggest improvement on a well functioning blower is the rubber on the paddle
I know this mod has been discussed before, but does anyone have pics of this illusive 'rubber paddle mod'? I think I understand the concept, but I am one of those visually-oriented types who learns best by seeing. I also enjoy Saturday morning cartoons. :grin:
Troll
Troll, here are pics of my "rubber paddles" I made from some heavy belting or truck mudflap material. I slotted the mounting holes on the paddles so as they wear, I can advance them outward to "wipe" the inside of the snowcaster housing. Included is a pic of the chute and deflector painted with graphite paint on the inside to make the surface slippery. Since I have not yet used the 'caster with the graphite paint, I can't attest to it's improvement, but slippery has to be better, and its the same stuff I use on the underside of the mowing deck, and that works great.
Thanks, Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.