Flow Control Valve Question.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member L.Fure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Leslie, Wisconsin
    Posts
    724
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 349 Times in 204 Posts

    Flow Control Valve Question.

    After seeing videos on youtube about installing flow control valves to regulate ground speed, I thought I would look one up in a parts book to see how it was plumbed. The example I found had the flow control valve plumbed into the hydraulic PTO. Was this the intended purpose of the flow control valve on these tractors? To regulate the flow to the PTO?

  2. # ADS
     

  3. #2
    Dealer bhildret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Plymouth, MI
    Posts
    2,762
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 645 Posts
    No ...

    The flow control valve is presumed to only be used on tractors with a PTO (high end hydraulics content) and specifically most useful when running the rototiller (though also handy in other conditions).

    So what you see is the flow control plumbed in series AFTER the PTO valve ... regulating oil volume to the TCV and therefore providing fine, steady control over the travel speed of the tractor.

    The "Hydraulics - How it Works" manuals include a great description of the oil flow diagram.


    Brian
    www.salempwr.com

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to bhildret For This Useful Post:

    L.Fure (03-11-2016)

  5. #3
    Senior Member L.Fure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Leslie, Wisconsin
    Posts
    724
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 349 Times in 204 Posts
    Okay, that makes sense. I was thinking a FCV would be a better way to adjust and set the speed of the tractor for most other applications. Like operating a snow caster in deep snow. I haven't really put much seat time on my tractor yet, and find using the TCV a bit of a pain. I wish the operating lever had a little more resistance when it is being advanced. I sometimes start out with a lurch when I advance the control lever. I'll probably get better at using it with more practice.

  6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    Senior Member don40207020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    616
    Thanks
    1,364
    Thanked 330 Times in 189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Fure View Post
    I haven't really put much seat time on my tractor yet, and find using the TCV a bit of a pain. I wish the operating lever had a little more resistance when it is being advanced. I sometimes start out with a lurch when I advance the control lever.
    Are you pushing down on the lever, before moving it forward or backward?

    That should help with controlling it, although sometimes it just takes practice too.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to don40207020 For This Useful Post:

    L.Fure (03-11-2016)

  9. #5
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    dundee quebec
    Posts
    1,634
    Thanks
    1,364
    Thanked 848 Times in 547 Posts
    Been thinking about that too. I plan on trying to fab a pie shaped rod that would clamp to the steering column and come out under the travel lever for a place to steady your palm as you move the lever with your thumb and index fingers. A lot of farm tractors have that now that have power reversers. Works very well especially on rough ground. As an added plus it helps keep your leg ect. from bumping the lever during mounting/dismounting. Has anyone tried this?

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dundee222 For This Useful Post:

    L.Fure (03-11-2016),Maine Willy (06-08-2016)

  11. #6
    Senior Member L.Fure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Leslie, Wisconsin
    Posts
    724
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 349 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundee222 View Post
    Been thinking about that too. I plan on trying to fab a pie shaped rod that would clamp to the steering column and come out under the travel lever for a place to steady your palm as you move the lever with your thumb and index fingers. A lot of farm tractors have that now that have power reversers. Works very well especially on rough ground. As an added plus it helps keep your leg ect. from bumping the lever during mounting/dismounting. Has anyone tried this?
    I usually put the transmission in neutral when I get off the tractor. Then wonder why the tractor won't move after I get back on. I do have a good memory, but it's a little short.

    I talked my wife into driving the 444 yesterday when we were cleaning up the yard. I explained how to make the tractor move, and what to do when she wanted to stop. She didn't go very far, and when it was time to stop the tractor she didn't know what to do to stop it. She had that deer caught in the headlights look on her face, but she finally got the tractor stopped. I was laughing to hard to be of any help at that point.

  12. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Terrace BC
    Posts
    4,030
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 185 Times in 91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Fure View Post
    Okay, that makes sense. I was thinking a FCV would be a better way to adjust and set the speed of the tractor for most other applications. Like operating a snow caster in deep snow. I haven't really put much seat time on my tractor yet, and find using the TCV a bit of a pain. I wish the operating lever had a little more resistance when it is being advanced. I sometimes start out with a lurch when I advance the control lever. I'll probably get better at using it with more practice.
    Reading your post, how's your linkages and stuff like that? Do a search on jumpy starts, lurching starts and you'll find several threads regarding that problem. My 446's had and no longer have that problem. They are a "joy to shift back and forth" and I don't have that (to me) stupid jumpy start. Don't over look the safety block under the dash, that's probably 50% of the problem by itself.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lionel For This Useful Post:

    L.Fure (03-22-2016)

  14. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Warburg, Alberta
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 74 Times in 41 Posts
    I put a flow control on last fall and plumbed it after the PTO. It is a joy to use and results in a very well tilled soil. I did the OM thing of putting a lever on it to operate. I am thinking of a decelerator type of pedal like a cat has to control the valve. So far once it is set you just have to steer, but it also means that to lift the 3 point you have to have full flow on the FC valve

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

    L.Fure (03-22-2016)

  16. #9
    Senior Member dave1mn2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    1,068
    Thanks
    636
    Thanked 532 Times in 315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don40207020 View Post
    Are you pushing down on the lever, before moving it forward or backward?

    That should help with controlling it, although sometimes it just takes practice too.
    Good advice.

    As Lionel mentions, there are several good threads about it. Getting the slop out at the ball joints at the TCV and the control rod itself. Bleeding the system, helped one of mine (thanks Gator :-) but on the 3012 I bought new and just sold, there was nothing to be done but face the learning curve.

    Pushing down didn't help, bleeding didn't help, the ball joints were fine. It was like that from new. The detent was pretty strong and ya just had to learn how hard to bump it past that detent but not actuate movement. Then you were golden.

    The 4018 I just picked up, is the best shifting out of the box, of the 3 I've owned. On the 2, 4000 series, pushing down does help but I haven't seen a need to touch the new (to me) one yet. After I'm done with all the plumbing changes planned for it, I'll look at the ball joints and bleed the system.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

    gator_rider2 (03-22-2016),L.Fure (03-22-2016)

  18. #10
    Senior Member L.Fure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Leslie, Wisconsin
    Posts
    724
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 349 Times in 204 Posts
    I'm getting better at operating the TCV, but will check out the things that were mentioned in earlier posts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •