Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Case 646 PTO & 3 point hitch hydraulic plumbing - help please

5K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Lionel 
#1 ·
I did search both here and through google images and can't find a good photo of what I am looking for. I have a 646, had the 3-pt hitch on it when I got it. I am adding the PTO valve and the hydraulic lines and bought the factory hard lines for the setup. I can't seem to figure out from any of the diagrams which ports these lines go to.

A while ago I found a color coded hydraulic flow chart on how the system worked, but now cannot locate it.

Does anyone have good photos of the TCV and the pump with the PTO and 3-pt hitch plumbed up? Would be greatly appreciated.

I sold my wife on the PTO and getting a tiller in exchange for a garden this spring. If I don't get this working soon, she's going to have ammo against my next purchase.

#2 ·
Well, certainly we don't want her against your next purchase,,

In essence, this is the way it connects,,

Front hydraulic pump,, to the rear PTO you're putting on

From the rear PTO, to the TCV, (assuming you are sitting on tractor) it goes to the big fitting on the front face of the TCV,, on your left side,

There should be no change to your 3 pt connection,, they stay connected to the 2 smaller fittings, sticking down coming out of the TCV,

#3 ·
AS well,

The part I don't know is, did you get a stock OEM PTO valve for your 646? The type that mounts on the right side of fender?

If so, the line coming from the pump,, connects to the big fitting on the right side of the PTO valve,, and the left side of the PTO valve,, goes to the line that is connected to the front of the TCV valve,,

If you dig out the parts manual for the 646,, it'll show you the connections on the parts breakdown,,

#5 ·
Yes, the PTO valve I am using is the OEM one.

AS well,

The part I don't know is, did you get a stock OEM PTO valve for your 646? The type that mounts on the right side of fender?

If so, the line coming from the pump,, connects to the big fitting on the right side of the PTO valve,, and the left side of the PTO valve,, goes to the line that is connected to the front of the TCV valve,,

If you dig out the parts manual for the 646,, it'll show you the connections on the parts breakdown,,

#4 ·
If you look closely at the PTO,, that would be a standard type of PTO for the 646, and it's mounting location,

The 2 ports facing upwards from the PTO, are the connections to a tiller.

And, lastly,, you should consider adding a loop hose to protect your hydraulic pump

#6 ·
OK, think I understand a little bit better. But am trying to figure out the orientation of the tube that goes to the pump/PTO valve. Is the tube from the pump to the PTO valve one section of tube, or is there a small 8" piece off the pump that you connect to? The PO put a rubber hose on from the pump to the travel valve, but there is an 8" piece of tube in a box of parts he gave me. Looks like if I add that to the long section of tube, it might orient the connector the right way. Hopefully pics help show what I mean.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas
Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Engineering Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Mode of transport
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Hose Gas Electrical wiring

#7 ·
Yes,, both the tubes that go to the PTO have a short section on them,, approx 8-10"

This is not a great picture to show it,,(best I have till next week) but if you look close at the 3 pt,, on the far side of the 3 pt, you should be able to see where the 2 tubes finish and are connected from there with a shorter tube,,

#9 ·
I'd say, the one sitting on the seat, goes to the TCV, the other one, by the looks of it,, the fitting that faces towards the front of the tractor,, that's the piece that end that connects to the PTO via a short section (10" or so) of hose/tube.

If memory serves me correctly,, they are a royal pain to put in properly, It takes some finesse to get them in place,, (Ie, twisting and turning those puppies into proper place) make require removal of the right rear tire,, and the thing needs to be jacked up so you have enough room to thread those tubes into place.

The outer ends that connect to the pto,, run parallel to the between fender and axle,, from there, it turns 90 degrees, and both tubes, hug, run parallel to the front of the rear diff case,,

For me,, what worked the best was,, I ended up dropping the TCV down and out,, stuck all the tubes in where they go,, (Hand tighten only till everything is back in) and then started reconnecting things. It's a couple hour job,, and patience,,

#10 ·
OK. So I may have the long one from the pump to the PTO sitting on there backwards. The other one makes sense, but yes, looks like it'll be a ton of fun to get in there. I do have the short sections that go from the PTO valve to these tubes.

I'll fiddle with it some more. And I am expecting to take most of this thing apart to get them in there. It needs some TLC anyway overall. I need to replace some o-rings on the TCV anyway since it is dripping, and while under there I saw a couple small frame cracks I want to weld up.

Ton of thanks for your help. I'll let you know what I find.

#11 ·
The PTO valve to TCV valve tube is no problem. But the one that goes up to the pump has to be wrong. It should cross over from the right side (sitting on the tractor) to the left so it can turn into the pump on the left hand side. But it doesn't. It's a straight run of pipe from the PTO valve up to the console.

#12 ·
On mine,

It did come in from the left side of pump, run down to the back of the left side, across the rear end/portion of the frame, over to the right side, and then out.

Mine was badly kinked, so I took the tube down to a hydraulic shop, they cut off where I told them to, flared the end of the good portion, and then, I went with a short hose, from the pump, to the now repaired tube with a flared end and nut,, Mine was a 1975 Case 646,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.