PTO air gap

Thread: PTO air gap

Thanks

PTO air gap

Hey all,

Happy Memorial day...just a question. If I install a new electric PTO on my 4020PS, do I need to set the air gap? Read the manual and I found it unclear.

thanks all
    Bart

2. # ADS

Thanks

Thanks
    Thank you MAF143

BART

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    All,

After reading my installations instructions of the PTO, I seems like I have two options pre set the air gap prior to installation or after...What I don't understand is when installed that Air gap can apparently go as low as .002, then the manuals goes on to say "a .012 feeler gage should still be used in the clamped state. If there is an adjustment after installation, what is the reason for setting the Air gap prior to installation

thx,
    BART

Master Mechanic
    Thanks
    I think the after install adjustment is intended for maintenance, after extended use.

Thanks
    Well, no joy. Instructions said that the PTO is preset at the factory. Installed and checked the gap.... it was .005. I adjusted it just so the gap was .008 and gave it a whirl. Started the engine, engaged the PTO and whap! The PTO rotated 1 full revolution....apparently I didn't properly adjust the bracket. The wire wrapped around the PTO and pulled the power wire shutting the unit down. Did a quick Inspection and only found the disconnected wire...repaired the wire, did a continuity cneck and started the motor back up. Engaged the PTO and nothing......needless to say after hrs of work...way too expensive parts...I'm a bit frustrated. Guess I'll go mow my lawn with my 22" mower.

Bart
    Last edited by BARTO; 06-20-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks
    Sorry to hear that you haven't been having very good luck with this.

I assume you saw an acceptable reading (not open circuit) when you tested the PTO coil for continuity. Did you also try wiggling the wires during that test? I'm wondering if the wires may have suffered some damage when the PTO came loose from the stop bracket, spun, and yanked on the wires. They might have broken strands hidden inside the insulation that are only making contact in a certain position.

Thanks
    Thanks Ray,
    I was pretty frustrated yesterday and simply walked away and did my chores. Tomorrow I'll be checking the resistance of the PTO and continuity check of the wiring. The previous owner spliced several wires in the harness and it's a bit messy. With that I'll be going to an auto center to try to purchase all the approperatly colored wires and rebuild the harness coming from the PTO engagement swith and headlight switch. I'm sure this work out....right:)

BART