3016 Surging & full choke needed to run
    Thanks

Talking 3016 Surging & full choke needed to run

Hey everyone. I'm a novice, at best, with engines, and I need some help. I have a 3016 ("Inga") with fairly high hours and an Onan engine. She's always smoked just a tad at startup, but runs solidly - everytime. I've had a mechanic pressure test, and check out the smoking just a month or so ago. They said it's fine given it's age and hours. Advised monitoring oil consumption, and keep up the good maintenance.

Just yesterday, Inga started surging when I would turn uphill. Now, I have some huge hills where I live, so I kinda enjoyed the new feature ... That is until she started stalling. Then it progressed to only running at full choke. I've found this article and this article that point me towards needing to clean the carb out/change fuel line filter.

So, my questions are:
    1. Do you think that's the right place to start?
    2. If so, do you know of any walk-throughs, or videos that I can review to get some help? Remember, I'm a novice at best.

I've done carb work on my old boat before that was pretty successful, so I think I can handle this one!

Thanks everyone for your help/advice in advance!

2. # ADS

Thanks
    For Onan related topics there are tons of videos on YouTube.

My strong personal experience is that you always start with new fuel line, fuel line clamps, filter and also the pulse line. Then see what you have.

I have refebished a good amount of tractors in a couple years and they all start easy and run perfect. Most the time all I did was the fuel line stuff.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ssmewing For This Useful Post:

74_case_onan (06-06-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmewing View Post
    For Onan related topics there are tons of videos on YouTube.

My strong personal experience is that you always start with new fuel line, fuel line clamps, filter and also the pulse line. Then see what you have.

I have refebished a good amount of tractors in a couple years and they all start easy and run perfect. Most the time all I did was the fuel line stuff.

Thanks! Last night, I tried taking the carb apart and spraying it with cleaner. It seemed to help. I'm going to pick up a new fuel line filter this evening. I'm not familiar with the pulse line. Does that go by a different name?

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sitesjc View Post
    Thanks! Last night, I tried taking the carb apart and spraying it with cleaner. It seemed to help. I'm going to pick up a new fuel line filter this evening. I'm not familiar with the pulse line. Does that go by a different name?
    The pulse line is hidden by the tins and is behind the fuel pump.

The pulse line uses the pressure changes in the crankcase to pump the fuel.

If the engine end of the line is completely cooked, you have a lean issue and have had it for some time. If it pulls off after twisting and pulling, your problem is recent.

Thanks

Fixed!

Alright, just an update for anyone that ever googles this or stumbles across it. I was able to fix my problem. In short, it was a combination of factors, but mostly the carburetor. Here's what I did:
    1. Replaced spark plugs - doubt it had any effect, but Inga needed it, and I was at Napa anyhow.
    2. Replaced fuel filter
    3. Cleaned out air filter
    4. Took apart the Carb and gave it a thorough cleaning with Carb & Choke cleaner, an air compressor, and some torch cleaning nozzles. This is likely what solved the problem.
    5. Initially that only solved the problem until Inga got hot, then it died again unless at full choke. I followed the post (linked below) to set the float at 1/8". It took me a few rounds of 'put it back together -> take it apart' until I got it right.

After all that, I did some tweaking of the carb a bit, and now she runs better than ever.

If #4 or #5 in particular leaves you wondering what the heck that entails, it's not as bad as one might think. There's a lot of posts on here to help you, but here's the one that really helped me out a lot: http://casecoltingersoll.com/showthr...nan-B43M/page4

Note, I linked to page 4 which was the most useful one for me, despite it being a little different setup than mine. Hope that helps ya!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sitesjc For This Useful Post:

Capt. Dan (06-16-2017),CaseNoob (06-16-2017),jfk (06-16-2017),Lionel (06-16-2017)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great for you! Nothing like the sweet smell of success!

Thank you for coming back and reporting what your fix was. A lot of owners ask about a problem and they never return to close off the thread with a fix,, which leaves everyone else hanging out there, not knowing. So, returning and closing that loop is quite important. Thank you for that,

Lionel

Advertising Coordinator CaseNoob's Avatar
    Thanks
    Excellent work! And as Lionel said thanks for reporting back. That is the key that helps future users looking for a similar fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    You're welcome! Nothing worse than finding someone with your exact issue, but no resolution on the problem.

Thanks
    Alright, just an update for anyone that ever googles this or stumbles across it. I was able to fix my problem. In short, it was a combination of factors, but mostly the carburetor. Here's what I did:
    1. Replaced spark plugs - doubt it had any effect, but Inga needed it, and I was at Napa anyhow.
    2. Replaced fuel filter
    4. Took apart the Carb and gave it a thorough cleaning with Carb & Choke cleaner, an air compressor, and some torch cleaning nozzles. This is likely what solved the problem.
    5. Initially that only solved the problem until Inga got hot, then it died again unless at full choke. I followed the post (linked below) to set the float at 1/8". It took me a few rounds of 'put it back together -> take it apart' until I got it right.

After all that, I did some tweaking of the carb a bit, and now she runs better than ever.

If #4 or #5 in particular leaves you wondering what the heck that entails, it's not as bad as one might think. There's a lot of posts on here to help you, but here's the one that really helped me out a lot: http://casecoltingersoll.com/showthr...nan-B43M/page4

Note, I linked to page 4 which was the most useful one for me, despite it being a little different setup than mine. Hope that helps ya!
    Your path to the solution is one I myself used when I first came here. I used the search function first. I read and read until it seemed to make sense. Then if I still didn't understand something, help was very easy to get.

The history of threads on this site has the solution to pretty much anything and several times with several twists.

Thanks
    2. Replaced fuel filter

I would highly encourage you to change the fuel line and pulse line to the fuel pump.

It takes just a couple minutes to get the fenders off and the back panel to pull the tank.

It is the best $10 that can be spent on an old engine.

The easy test is cash you pinch the fuel line closed with your fingers? If no, bad. Then it's the fuel line floppy? If it is not change it.