oil leak and gov. problems
    Thanks

oil leak and gov. problems

have a early k241 in a 120 that has sat for who knows how long prior to this week, after a few minutes of running it starts to blow oil out the breather, im not sure if there is a drain that goes back to the crankcase that is restricted causing oil to accumulate here and then blow out the breather or maybe there are missing baffles im not sure i haven't opened it up yet since we dont have any gaskets on hand for it, second question is it seems like the governor malfunctions as it will start increasing rpm on its own without touching the throttle, you can hold it against the gov by pushing the arm back forward towards idle but with the hood on that is something you arent going to pop the hood open and do every time til it starts working properly again, just looking for ideas on where to start with these as ive not run into these problems on a kohler yet, it also is hard to start im not sure if i dont have the carb set quite right or what is up with that but seems to start better at full throttle and has to crank for a rather long time.

2. # ADS

Thanks
    Too know what is happening you're going to have to take it apart most likely. Download the Kohler repair manual and get to it. Have some fun.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carpman15 View Post
    have a early k241 in a 120 that has sat for who knows how long prior to this week, after a few minutes of running it starts to blow oil out the breather, im not sure if there is a drain that goes back to the crankcase that is restricted causing oil to accumulate here and then blow out the breather or maybe there are missing baffles im not sure i haven't opened it up yet since we dont have any gaskets on hand for it, second question is it seems like the governor malfunctions as it will start increasing rpm on its own without touching the throttle, you can hold it against the gov by pushing the arm back forward towards idle but with the hood on that is something you arent going to pop the hood open and do every time til it starts working properly again, just looking for ideas on where to start with these as ive not run into these problems on a kohler yet, it also is hard to start im not sure if i dont have the carb set quite right or what is up with that but seems to start better at full throttle and has to crank for a rather long time.
    I think the first thing I'd do is to setup the valves, and then, set the timing up. After that, I'd make sure the governor is properly setup, (numerous posts on here on how to set the arm up correctly). Then, sounds like this motor has been sitting for a whiles? If so, a good carb clean to get the crud out of it is probably in order,,

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    yea it has been sitting a long time, the carb that was on it the needle was frozen in it and broke off so a good used cleaned out carb was installed on it, its just odd that the gov doesnt always act up sometimes it works properly sometimes it wants to run it at a crazy high rpm, i do need to look into the linkage on the outside of the block as it could be wrong, i havent pulled the breather cover yet to check the valves since i dont have gaskets here for it but its on the list to look at since that may also reveal the oil coming out of it

Thanks
    I'll add one more thing to Lionel's list. After you get it running put a little seafoam in the crank case. The piston rings may be stuck, causing blow-by from the combustion chamber into the crank case, which is causing the oil to be pushed out through the breather. Run it for a while with the seafoam to see if the rings will come loose and stop the blow-by. If that doesn't work you will have to tear it down for an overhaul. The cylinder wall may be worn enough to constitute boring the cylinder to the next size piston. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks
    i just thought of this i may have overlooked the simplest thing, i never did check the oil level on the engine... i should probably change it too...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Just a FYI,I just finished with a B48M that had been sitting for quite a whiles. I debated should I or shouldn't I pull the pistons out. I finally decided that I should. One piston, the rings were good and loose. The 2nd piston, rings were just about seized on that piston. No movement what so ever. I think, a motor that's been sitting around, a guy should have a look. I'm sure, if someone took the pistons out and found everything okay, you could just put the piston back in,, but at least, you'd know for sure what you have.
    I don't know if mine would have freed themselves up or not, I think it would have,, but not sure what damage that could cause though,

Thanks
    yea, this is just unfortunatly one of those pre show time crunch deals that we are trying to get all together and running in a month, will have to post a picture of how far its come already in 2 weeks