Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

CCKA Starter Problem

6K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  robynrj 
#1 ·
I am having problem with the starter on the 646, it has the solenoid on top of the starter, when I turn the key sometimes it engages the flywheel and sometimes I just hear the starter spin. With my limited experience I feel the solenoid is the problem. Can they be removed without removing the starter, and if so can the solenoid be disassembled and cleaned?

Thanks
Ted :headscratcher:

#9 ·
boomers_influence said:
ted and club
solenoid style of starter ,DOES NOT USE THE BENDIX STYLE OF DRIVE.
solenoid style has a fork, that is pulled in by the solenoid. (no screw on the shaft)
the bendix style is moved in by the screw on the starter shaft.
thank you. boomer
This why we keep this guy around. We need to be reminded that the CCK Series engines were different from the B and P Series. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: Good one, Boomer. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
boomers_influence said:
ted and club
solenoid style of starter ,DOES NOT USE THE BENDIX STYLE OF DRIVE.
solenoid style has a fork, that is pulled in by the solenoid. (no screw on the shaft)
the bendix style is moved in by the screw on the starter shaft.
thank you. boomer
Boomer,
What do I look for to correct this? :headscratcher: :headscratcher:
I need your advice.

Thanks,
Ted

#14 ·
If you have a decent flatbed scanner capable of delivering nice, clean images then that would be good. If not, then you could mail that manual to Jack in Michigan and he will scan it.

We insist on the following.

- each scan must contain only ONE page of a manual.

- you start with the cover of the manual and end with the back cover so that members know that the entire manual is in the PDF

- every page of the manual must be included UNLESS it is totally blank. However, if an otherwise blank page has a page number shown, it must be included in the PDF so that no one wonders if a page was missed.

- pages need to be square to the scanner bed and held down flat so that black streaks do not cloud the image.

We realize that every manual we currently have in the Tech section may not meet every one of the above criteria but sometimes a crappy manual is still better than no manual. Even so, I just turned down a manual because all of the safety warnings had been left out by the person who scanned it. We will not compromise on safety issues even though this was a manual that I dearly wanted.

#20 ·
I apologize for not getting back sooner, had to go to VA Friday, (150 miles round trip) and we got 4 inches of snow Friday night, didn't get out of the 30s all day, so I did absolutely nothing. Will look at it closer tomorrow, but I have a feeling it might be the connection that goes from the switch to solenoid. If I recall correctly when I took off the cable from battery connected to the starter, that wire sorta of fell off the solenoid, could be something a simple as a loose connection. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Thanks to all that responded.
Ted

#21 ·
Battery cables do not last forever.

I have seen cables that are totally useless due to moisture getting in under the outer jacket. The copper becomes blackened and brittle. When that happens it will not conduct current effectively. I suggest that you take a hard look at that cable prior to condemning the starter. You should be able to flex it 180 degrees and then straighten it out with little resistance and no noise. If it makes a crunching noise and does not easily bend and straighten back out, then I suggest that you replace it. Don't forget the ground cable either. Make sure that it is bolted tightly to a clean spot on the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.