Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Powder coating

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  heatseaker1 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience powder coating parts?

I picked up an inexpensive gun and am going to give it a whirl. Mostly I would like to know if anyone has used IR cure lamps for the process and if it is sensitive to wavelength.

#3 ·
Hydriv said:
Call me crazy but I don't see that happening with brooder lamps.
I agree with Tom. My friend has a small set up to coat parts for his collector cars. He picked up a used electric range and if it fits in the oven, it gets powder coated. It does a great job. He practiced on his cheap metal mail box, made it deep blue with orange flames. It looked so good someone stole it. I'm not sure what temp he cooks at but I can ask him.

Al

#4 ·
I do ceramic coating on firearms, which is similar to powder coating. My stuff sprays on like paint, has an air cure time for the reducer air out some, then gets baked in the oven at 260-285* F. Powder coat, if I recall goes in at about 350*.

Lamps won't do it, as the whole part needs the heat so the product will bond with the surface of the item getting coated.

In my ceramic coat process I have to even pre-heat the parts to get the surface ready for coating, then spray while hot, air-cure for a short period of time, then bake for 2 hours 30 min. Once cooled to room temperature, it's done and I put the gun back together. Stronger than regular paint, and faster application process, as there is no 24-48 hour dry time needed.

I do have air-cure colors that match my ceramic colors for items that can't get baked, such as wood or fiberglass stocks, and that takes a long time compared to the metal stuff.

In short, ya gotta bake it bro!! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.