Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

onan crank gear puller

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  walts 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. i'm sure someone else has already thought of this, but i thought i'd put it out there anyway. one of the hardest things for me to do on an onan was to pull the crank gear without messing up. i tried the sholder bolt set up they show in the book, but that never seemed to hold up long. i got a piece of 1/4 inch plate steel, cut it in a circle 1/2 to 3/4 inch bigger then the gear, then cut a hole in the center just big enough to clear the crank,{a donut} next i drilled two small holes over the small threded holes in the gear so the small 10/32 bolts could pass through. i bolted the donut tight to the gear and used my biggest 3 jaw puller to hook on outer rim of the donut. i used a soft block of wood to keep the crank from turning and pulled the gear right off. again i'm pretty sure someone has already thought of this. just wanted to share with everyone in case not. thank you, walts.

#2 ·
Walts, It's amazing how the right tool makes things easier, even if you have to fabricate it yourself. A friend of mine, a lifelong mechanic, made the exact same thing when he worked on my BF Onan for my 446. The gear walked right off the shaft!
Regards,
Nolan

#5 ·
walts and club
my onan service manuals all show basically the
same thing that you made.
by the drawing in the manual it appears to be thicker,
about 3/8" i think. ( if i wanted to use it repeatedly it would be 3/8" )
one thing i would add, use allen head capscrews.
they are usually grade 8.
this is most likely the hardest thing about tearing down an
onan engine.
two years ago i purchased a used onan P 220 that lost
a valve seat.
he had his " mechanic " tear it down.
he got the gear off, but wrecked the block, crank and gear.
thank you. boomer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.