• Honda

11 28.21%
  • Other

6 15.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jack of All Trades
    Thanks

Re: What engine to repower with

When I dropped a Kohler V into my tractor, I had little problem finding a Flywheel PTO assembly in various sizes. I even believe I found it available from a Paypal place, which is why I remember it.

So, I dont know if finding the same for a Honda would be much different... its not like its a Rare engine in the states at this point. So, even if you buy one, you will just need to pick a shaft diameter large enough to have it machined down to the size you need for the clutch you intend to use. Usually, they are all pretty long.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator InTroubleAlltheTime's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 1,273 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WVshooter
    The Honda in possession is a GX610 18hp V-twin. The story of the original 14 horse Kohler is that I don't have it and never have. I bought the tractor sans motor with the intention of putting one in myself and using it for a working tractor and keeping my 3012 as the mower. I wouldn't mind finding another single piston Kohler to use, preferably a 16hp.
    I'm not a purist, per se, so hood modifications and the like don't bother me. In fact, I would go to a (gasp) bulgy hood if need be.
    From what I've found, finding an engine with a flywheel pto shaft is the tricky part. Hence asking around here for the stub shaft. There is a machine shop where I work, I may have to enlist some help from them.
    Sounds like the Honda is the way to go in that case. I'm going to vote for the Honda! Please keep us posted, love to see pictures/tech of all the steps of the install if you go in that direction.
    Best Regards, Rich

Super Moderator InTroubleAlltheTime's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 1,273 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikebramel
    Unless you are going to put at least a 20HP I wouldnt bother with a newer V twin
    Mike: Why is that? (I ask because I am considering a 18HP Kohler V-Twin re-power for my 646.)
    Best Regards, Rich

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

It would be alot easier to fit the stock engine back in. The power would be very similar

For you, a Command would cost more to alot more than a rebuild. You would use less fuel and the front end would be lighter. But the engine has a smaller power band and isn't nearly as well built.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 836 Posts

JMTC - having contemplated a similar scenarion with a Briggs Vanguard (just because I already had it), I quickly realized (after several nights writing down the steps) that I could (and DID) sell the Vanguard for much more than it cost to find and rebuild a Kohler. All else was a complete bolt in! But the tractor came with all the parts and a busted block/cam/etc. I found a block from a Ford/Jacobson or Cub, don't really remember.

I'm thinking that Boomer put a Honda in one of his, so you might tag him for his thoughts.

Thanks
    I know this is an old post, but I'd like to hear if there are any new opinions. I have a tired 444 and a really tired 446. I plan to rebuild the 444 but not till the winter weather passes as I need it for blowing snow, I have been looking at repower kits for the 446 and was wondering if anybody has any new info on them. There is quite a price difference and I'd like to know why.

Jet
    Thanks
    I myself would try to keep it original however if that's not possible I would call Jim at Jim repair. Pretty sure as suggested that Boomer does have one with a Honda. Am pretty sure he would give you some answers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 836 Posts
    Well, times have changed and Boomer will likely report back on his Honda re-power...

Ray W

Thanks
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 704 Posts
    Interesting poll question, I liked it...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,551 Posts
    My vote is a Honda if you can get all the attaching parts. Simply because they are so dependable. Almost all ag equipment companies that need gas power have used or switched to Hondas because of their dependability. [You don't want 150 head of hungry bawling cattle to feed by hand because the feed cart won't run!] With proper maintenance it will outlast you.