Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Implement lifting, rear PTO and 3-point hitch / K-Sleeve - (Case 448)

10K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  quickfarms 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 1985 Case (Ingersoll Rand) 448 GT.

I am trying to learn more about how implements (e.g. snow blower, blade) are hydraulically lifted on the front of the GT, as well as how a Roto-tiller is hydraulically lifted on the rear of the GT.

Are 'all' implements lifted with the same mechanism as the mower deck (mounted in middle of GT), whether such implements are mounted on the front (snow blower) or rear (tiller)?

Also, I am trying to understand exactly when a rear PTO or 3-Point hitch is necessary and, how does the K-Sleeve work in comparison to a rear PTO? Can either be used interchangably or is there a specific use for either or both?

Although I have a lot to learn about my Case 448, I am eager and excited to learn all that I can about this GT. I know it is a work horse and a fine piece of machinery...I just need to learn how to use it.

Any input, advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated ! I am glad to have found this site in my many searches thus far :)

Len

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the site Len!

All implements lift using the mid mounted lift cylinder. The snowblower is lifted with a lift bar that extends forward. The rear sleeve hitch would be lifted by a lift bar that extends rearward. All parts would be found in the technical section of the site in the various manuals.

A 3 point rear hitch provides a lot of fine adjustments for the angle of an implement, like the rotor tiller. The sleeve hitch is basically just up and down, the angle with the ground is what it is.

I have used the tiller with a sleeve hitch on my 4020ps, and the same tiller with a 3 point hitch on my 7020. Results were the same...the ground got tilled. :thumbsup:

Congrats on your new to you 448!

#3 ·
Don,

Thank you for reply. I must say, since I bought my first Case (448) and began doing some research, I quickly came to understand how a guy can get hooked on this stuff and become a tractor enthusiast ! I believe I have been bitten by the proverbial bug :)

I had another handful of questions that perhaps you could help me to answer? If not, perhaps another enthusiast will respond to this thread and quench my thirst for knowledge.

Here we go...

1. Currently, I have the Hydra-Bagger installed. Are the same two hydraulic lines that run the 'bagger' the same two lines that would run a 'tiller'?
2. Is the only additional benefit I would get from a '3-Point Hitch' versus a 'K-Sleeve' is the ability to adjust the angle of the tiller, as opposed to simple lower/raise options?
3. When would a '3-Point Hitch' be necessary to operate a particular implement?
4. What is the difference between a 'Holding Valve' and a 'Flow Control Valve'?
5. Would the same two hydraulic lines that are currently attached to my Hydra-Bagger be the same lines that would power a 'tiller'?

I appreciate any feedback you could offer as I continue to learn and familiarize myself with this wonderful new addition to my family...LOL

Thanks.

#4 ·
Don,

Thank you for reply. I must say, since I bought my first Case (448) and began doing some research, I quickly came to understand how a guy can get hooked on this stuff and become a tractor enthusiast ! I believe I have been bitten by the proverbial bug :)

I had another handful of questions that perhaps you could help me to answer? If not, perhaps another enthusiast will respond to this thread and quench my thirst for knowledge.

Here we go...

1. Currently, I have the Hydra-Bagger installed. Are the same two hydraulic lines that run the 'bagger' the same two lines that would run a 'tiller'?
2. Is the only additional benefit I would get from a '3-Point Hitch' versus a 'K-Sleeve' is the ability to adjust the angle of the tiller, as opposed to simple lower/raise options?
3. When would a '3-Point Hitch' be necessary to operate a particular implement?
4. What is the difference between a 'Holding Valve' and a 'Flow Control Valve'?
5. Would the same two hydraulic lines that are currently attached to my Hydra-Bagger be the same lines that would power a 'tiller'?

I appreciate any feedback you could offer as I continue to learn and familiarize myself with this wonderful new addition to my family...LOL

Thanks.
Here are my answers.

The answer to questions 1 and 5 is a yes. Do you have the third case drain line?

The three point hitch allows you to adjust the angle front to back and side to side. Personally this is not necessary with a tiller but is a great advantage using a box scraper and some other implements.

The holding valve is to prevent a down hill runaway and was incorporated into the travel control valve on later models.

The flow control valve allows you adjust your ground speed more precisely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.