J26 link arm width and implement capatibility
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

J26 link arm width and implement capatibility

Questions about link arm spacing and capability. I have the J26 3pt and have measured 20" spacing, such is the hitch adapter.

1 --> I am looking into a Cat0 advertised scoop that I have gotten measurements at a 24" between the draw pin holes in the implement frame. Now, I understand I could orientate the draw pins pointing inwards and can purchase pins that are 2" in length. Does this math work out as it first appears and are there experiences with this I should be aware of?

2 --> The scoop would be for rear facing material pickup. So backing into a pile of crushed stone, wood chips, compost, and clay sand dirt (probably the tough stuff, but can fluff it up with a backhoe). If this 3pt stong enough to do this work? I am sure it can handle the weight, as the scoop is small, but am concerned about lateral forces.

I appreciate any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,058 Posts
    dscn0396-copy.jpgLimited Cat 1 (sometimes called Cat 0 ... but not really ... or subcompact Cat 0) can be used if you change out to 5/8" pins and orient the pins inward. That is how my back blade is set up.

Some implements of course you can't turn the pins inward due to structure ... that's not likely to work.

What does the scoop weigh? That's the real question.

Most 24" scoops these tractors can handle with some good front counter weight. I've got a customer who cleaned out a 1/4 acre pond with one.

The load weight of the scoop is usually quite small ... even in stone. If the scoop is down in the 150-200 lb range, I say you'd be fine. But do need good from counter weight.

Brian
    www.salempwr.com

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bhildret For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (02-04-2016),dundee222 (01-27-2016),jfk (01-27-2016)

Thanks
    Brian, thank you for the input. I put me over the edge and I went for it:

http://www.agrisupply.com/point-dirt-scoop/p/65053/

Apparently weighs around 145 lbs. I have a weight box for the front of the tractor and can get the 150 lbs in it pretty easy. I'll play with how much I need. Look forward to fewer wheel borrow runs.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skiveller For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (02-04-2016),jfk (03-16-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Something I noticed about your scoop ... I have an excavator bucket for my 8N, different from the more common scoops. Its shaped exactly like a front loader bucket but hangs on the 3 pt. Forward facing, its easier on the back, than constantly turning around in the seat.

From your pic, you can mount this forward facing, if you put you pins there.

Might be other reasons why this won't work on our tractors, clearance etc. but if it will, you might want to give it a shot. I think you probably have more pulling power, than pushing rearward too, if nothing else, than from ag tire orientation.

Thanks
    Guess I should add that forward facing is less good on some pile work. Not impossible but less easy than being able to stab right into a pile.

But where it shines, is in excavation and hauling.

Anyway, if it will fit and function without clearance issues, give it a try.

Thanks
    I have a similar scoop for my TO-35 Ferguson that is older than me. It has moved a lot of dirt and stone over the years and the reversable feature is nice, best of both worlds. My neck has been stiff many times from running it in reverse days on end. Forward is nice when it is usable that way, but reverse seems to get the most use on mine.

It has dug at least 3 basements for family homes over the years since the 50's.

Thanks
    Wow that's a pretty small bucket to dig a basement with. Impressive!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseNoob View Post
    Wow that's a pretty small bucket to dig a basement with. Impressive!
    Houses were smaller then and often, not full depth.

The biggest project I've done with mine, was regrading the front yard and creating a circle drive, where I used to live.

Cut area was around 115' long x 50' wide and 3' deep at the deepest. Wouldn't hesitate to do something like that, or somewhat larger again, especially if you had good drainage and weren't up against a weather window.

The whole package, earned its cost on that one project.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

CaseNoob (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    Those were full basements average about 30' by 40'. They didn't happen overnight. My dad was a very hard worker with high expectations (shall we say) and they were done when I was a kid and I did most of the driving. To me it was a blast... great memories. I wish I had a picture of when a couple cars stopped and gave dad what for because that little boy on the tractor was gonna get killed coming up the ramp out of the basement hole doing a wheelie the whole way cuz the load was so heavy... He would just laugh and tell them that his boys must be much better drivers than them. He always had confidence in us and instilled that trait in both of us.

Sorry I got a little off topic there.

Those scoops can do a lot of work with a little patience. That sounds like a pretty decent price for the work that you can do with them. I grew up around one and have seen it used for all kinds of projects.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAF143 For This Useful Post:

CaseNoob (02-04-2016),dave1mn2 (02-04-2016),Ray_Wilson_KC (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skiveller View Post
    Brian, thank you for the input. I put me over the edge and I went for it:

http://www.agrisupply.com/point-dirt-scoop/p/65053/

Apparently weighs around 145 lbs. I have a weight box for the front of the tractor and can get the 150 lbs in it pretty easy. I'll play with how much I need. Look forward to fewer wheel borrow runs.
    I'm curious to know how your scoop is working out?

Its not mounted yet but a 3 pt. is in my very near future.