Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Flow Control Valve Question.

12K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  earthnstrings 
#1 ·
After seeing videos on youtube about installing flow control valves to regulate ground speed, I thought I would look one up in a parts book to see how it was plumbed. The example I found had the flow control valve plumbed into the hydraulic PTO. Was this the intended purpose of the flow control valve on these tractors? To regulate the flow to the PTO?

#2 ·
No ...

The flow control valve is presumed to only be used on tractors with a PTO (high end hydraulics content) and specifically most useful when running the rototiller (though also handy in other conditions).

So what you see is the flow control plumbed in series AFTER the PTO valve ... regulating oil volume to the TCV and therefore providing fine, steady control over the travel speed of the tractor.

The "Hydraulics - How it Works" manuals include a great description of the oil flow diagram.

Brian
www.salempwr.com

#3 ·
Okay, that makes sense. I was thinking a FCV would be a better way to adjust and set the speed of the tractor for most other applications. Like operating a snow caster in deep snow. I haven't really put much seat time on my tractor yet, and find using the TCV a bit of a pain. I wish the operating lever had a little more resistance when it is being advanced. I sometimes start out with a lurch when I advance the control lever. I'll probably get better at using it with more practice.

#4 ·
I haven't really put much seat time on my tractor yet, and find using the TCV a bit of a pain. I wish the operating lever had a little more resistance when it is being advanced. I sometimes start out with a lurch when I advance the control lever.
Are you pushing down on the lever, before moving it forward or backward?

That should help with controlling it, although sometimes it just takes practice too.

#5 ·
Been thinking about that too. I plan on trying to fab a pie shaped rod that would clamp to the steering column and come out under the travel lever for a place to steady your palm as you move the lever with your thumb and index fingers. A lot of farm tractors have that now that have power reversers. Works very well especially on rough ground. As an added plus it helps keep your leg ect. from bumping the lever during mounting/dismounting. Has anyone tried this?

#6 ·
I usually put the transmission in neutral when I get off the tractor. Then wonder why the tractor won't move after I get back on. I do have a good memory, but it's a little short.

I talked my wife into driving the 444 yesterday when we were cleaning up the yard. I explained how to make the tractor move, and what to do when she wanted to stop. She didn't go very far, and when it was time to stop the tractor she didn't know what to do to stop it. She had that deer caught in the headlights look on her face, but she finally got the tractor stopped. I was laughing to hard to be of any help at that point.

#8 ·
I put a flow control on last fall and plumbed it after the PTO. It is a joy to use and results in a very well tilled soil. I did the OM thing of putting a lever on it to operate. I am thinking of a decelerator type of pedal like a cat has to control the valve. So far once it is set you just have to steer, but it also means that to lift the 3 point you have to have full flow on the FC valve

#11 ·
Hey guys, I know this is an older thread, but thought I'd chime in if that's ok. From my limited experience, it seems that having the PTO valve might make the TCV control a little more jumpy. Is this true? I have a 446 with Vanguard repower that was terribly jumpy and I frequently killed the engine when running in high range, even when I was doing my best to "ease" into it. I've also had an Onan powered 446 with no PTO, and it didn't seem jumpy at all. Not sure if the PTO valve made the difference or not. However, I was able to significantly reduce the jumpiness on my 446 Vanguard with PTO valve by removing the white plastic detent piece below the dash. That really smoothed it out a lot, and I rarely kill the engine anymore.

#12 ·
Ok, I'm back on this subject again. I'm thinking about adding a flow control valve to my 444. I was wondering if anyone has used a generic version of FCV like the one in this link?
http://www.surpluscenter.com/New-Ar...Control-Valve-w-Relief-Valve-9-8993-50-16.axd

One other thing is how did you "T" into the steel return line for the excess oil to flow back into the system? I think I saw a posting about this, but can't seem to find it.

#15 ·
It don't take place holding valve it controls speed travel motor on transaxle. More constant speed forward than do with travel control level and spool. Travel speed more like creeper gear given gear drive tractor. Flow control and Holding valve work together real good tilling.

#17 ·
Casey, depending what you are looking for, they can be fairly easy to find, or relatively difficult.

A flow control, can be purchased new, and the are not expensive. The problem with that is it doesn't come with metal tubes,, which means you end up using hoses. Not a big deal in my mind, and can be done to look quite nice. (I don't remember seeing a complete one of these come up on ebay,, with tubes, mind you, I've only been watching since 2014.)

Holding valves,, typically will cost around $200 US, and if you are super lucky,, it might have the tubes from the valve to the TCV. (holding valve with tubes to fit short frame 446's) Most times, you're not going to be that lucky. You can buy new tubes for these, but I'll throw a caution to you about that. I did purchase a holding valve for one of mine,, and I also purchased said new tubes that were supposed to fit. Well, those tubes never did fit, as they were off by about an inch or so. So, I did end up with hoses instead anyways. (I still have them, for what they are worth)

For one of my 446's, a 75 model, I did purchase the later travel control valve, with the built in holding valve on it. It's on the forum here someplace, on how I did it, and without drilling new holes in the floorboard either. The install went fairly easy, and as far as tubes, I reused the original tubes that came off the tractor, with slight re-bending of the tubes using heat. The integrated TCV, is a bit more expensive, then just a holding valve.

This is one example of a flow control valve,

https://www.princessauto.com/en/det...mpensated-adjustable-flow-control/A-p8252777e

#19 ·
I have an OEM FCV on a 4016 Ingersoll. Now that I have become accustomed to it I don't know how I worked without one.

Using a tiller as an example: I can run the engine at high rpm so the tiller has strong and consistent power. Enter the flow control valve for finding a precise, slow and consistent ground speed. Another words, full engine power to the tiller attachment and at the same time moving at a consistent slow ground speed without lurching or any need to keep adjusting the hand operated travel control.

It takes a bit of getting used to. In order to lift the tiller attachment you do need to open up the fcv all the way. But first, cut back on the tcv to creeping speed, then open up the fcv, then lift the implement.

Sounds complicated and convoluted in writing but in practice in doesn't take long to learn to operate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.