Draining Hydraulic Oil Out of a Newer 4023 PS/PTO
    Thanks

Draining Hydraulic Oil Out of a Newer 4023 PS/PTO

Thanks all for the advice to drain the hydraulic oil out of my hard-starting 4023. I have been playing around with the tractor for the last three days to try to get it to start. I found out the choke was out of adjustment, so I readjusted the cable so the flap in the carburetor now fully closes when the choke is turned on. I did manage to get my tractor running Friday, by fully-charging the new battery I bought for it a week ago. I then ran it up and down the road a few times to warm up the hydraulic oil for changing.

I was disappointed to learn that the manual which came with the tractor shows the plug in the bottom of the TCV on the LH side, only to learn after removing the bellypan, that one cannot see the plug because there are two large hoses possibly covering it up. (One cannot move those hoses either without disconnecting them.)

My tractor has the floor-mounted rear PTO, and I think these are the hoses for that. I also have power steering which makes the plumbing even more different.

I decided to remove one of the tubes that feeds the rear end, and I got a trickle of oil out. I ended up using a vacuum pump and siphoning the majority of the oil out the tank, and then removed the hydraulic filter and managed to catch more that way. I know for sure, I got about a gallon or a little more.

Has anybody came across this issue? If so, how did you get the oil out of yours? The way I did it was not pleasant or efficient, but it got the job done, I guess.

It would have been nice if Eastman/Ingersoll could have updated their manuals to reflect the newer units.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to John S For This Useful Post:

don40207020 (12-26-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,035 Posts
    My 89, 3012, had metal lines but they weren't in the way of the drain port.

My 99, 4020PS has rubber lines back there and one is in the way. No idea if that is factory or not but there is just enough slack, to get a long allen wrench in it. It does help, that my set has the rounded heads, letting you get in an allen screw, without having to be perfectly straight.

Can't say I recall how the 98, 4018 is set up but that probably means its nothing unusual, or I'd remember it.

PS does greatly complicate a few things, at least in the tower and the priority valve, blocks access and view to several things. A lot of stuff, jammed in a small space.

Don't have a PTO but when I plumbed the 3pt. and selector valve on the 4018, can't say I considered the drain plug. When you start adding options, things just have to go where they either must go, or where works best for you.

I too, wish it were easier to get a full drain on the hydraulic system. Never liked the idea of cranking the engine, and running the pump dry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,049 Posts
    You've hit on the most logical approach.

Yes, when equipped with PTO the newer tractors have the drain plug directly above one of the PTO lines. It's a more clever PTO plumbing package than prior, but not great for draining.

I syphon or pump down the reservoir, then as you've noted can drain a bit more from the filter.

If it was warm and you put a fitting on the case drain quick connect, you can get a bit more.

That's a very sufficient quantity for the change ...

Brian
    www.salempwr.com

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Site Supporter
    Mobile, central AR, northern Maine - back and forth
    Thanks
    Brian - that kind of input - "sufficient quantity for the change" makes any of us novices feel like we did it right. Thank you for your continued contribution.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,200 Posts
    The case drain on the rear PTO can be used to drain the hyd oil. If it had a quick disconnect, either remove it or connect a mating quick disconnect. Start the engine and let it idle and catch the hyd oil in a container. This will remove 90% of the hyd oil in the system.
    Hard steering on a non power steering machine means that the steering system needs to be lubricated and possibly "poor mans" power steering needs to be installed. The steering gears may also need to be cleaned, lubricated and readjusted. Front tire pressure may also have to be increased.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Tie rod ends and drag link ends could use a few drops of oil in them also.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    I ended up using a vacuum pump and siphoning the majority of the oil out the tank...
    That's how I removed the oil from my system also, and then I blocked the breather hole in the hydraulic tank cap with plastic and reinstalled it so that when I opened up the system downstream, any remaining oil only leaked out slowly because with the vent in the cap plugged it formed a suction that kept the oil from flowing.

It worked!

I've never used the drain plug in the TCV as the manual suggests.