Year: 1997

Steps taking:

1 - Remove all paint from the piston and polish clean
2 - Remove the attachment pin from the base of cylinder
3 - Gently tap down on piston with Rubber Mallet
4 - Everything comes apart nicely without force

Awaiting correct replacement seals.

#6 ·
Nice! I'll be looking forward to seeing the re-assembly once you receive the new seals. I have one that's weeping a little oil and needs to be resealed. From what I've read in the service manual, it is important to pay particularly close attention to the lower end of the cylinder bore to make sure it's free of rust or rough/sharp edges (such as around the pin holes) that could damage the new O-ring seals on the piston & end cap as they're pushed back into place.

#9 ·
Thank you Ray. I decided to do some research to locate the manual you mentioned. Seemed like a good idea to remove paint and potential metal blemishes. I found the following manual that describes in great detail the procedure for replacing the seals.

Located in this area: http://casecoltingersoll.com/showthread.php/11030-Hydraulic-section

The specific manual that applies to the lift cylinder I am working with is titled " Hydraulic Cylinder Manual 9-99833 "

I just received the new seals and will continue providing pics while also following the written procedure.

Thanks Ray !

#10 ·
I wish I could add helpful pics. I found it impossible with just two hands and my limited camera.

What I learned is the necessity of keeping the work area and hydraulic pieces clean. Obsessive compulsive clean. I also think it might benefit every newbie to learn the basic function and flow of the hydraulic system. It might help prevent motor and hydraulic mishaps.

In conclusion. I simply followed the directions in the manual. I will attach a couple self explanatory pics. One showing the tool I used to extract the O rings. The second pic is with the intent of visually showing that we need to align the reassembly properly.

Thanks and be well.

#11 ·
May I also add that I did use an inexpensive Hydraulic Oil filter this summer with the sole purpose of cleaning out a system when I wasn't certain of the maintenance history. Now I am changing out the Hydraulic Oil to Shell Rottella 15W30 to better handle the frigid New England temps and installing the OEM filter. $25 cost for a filter that lasts 5 years is by my calculation .013 per day. I will go OEM.

Microphone Font Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Gadget
Musical instrument Drinkware Vision care Tobacco pipe Finger

#12 · (Edited)
As for the seals and O rings. Again like the filter I will used OEM from a site supplier. I know they are pricey. I can't afford to use after market and possible short life span. There is a good chance they will last another 20 years. I always spray my hydraulic pistons with light oil to prevent rust, pitting and keep them polished and clean.

There is no guarantee that a cylinder from ebay is leak free. So I will repair my own and know it is done to the best of my ability.

All the best and best of luck to you.

Thanks,
Dave

#13 ·
Oh one more suggestion. I was totally confused regarding which seal kit to purchase. The answer was resolved by sending off a pic to a site vendor who in turn was able to provide what I needed. Otherwise - no I would have been guessing ..... and inevitably not get it right.

#14 ·
I felt I should bring the cylinder rebuild to a conclusion. I am pleased with the results and encourage anyone to try rebuilding their own if it is leaking. I do like to learn and initially new nothing and had no prior experience going into this repair. I came out a little more knowledgeable and happy. I have the tractor up on jacks, ran the tractor for a good 15 minutes operating the tranny and lift. It doesn't leak a drop of oil anywhere. Needless to say I am thrilled and now ready to handle the winter.

Overall I feel these tractors are worth every effort if you are able to get one that has a good foundation and potential.

All the best,
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.