Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

448 Mouting of Haban 408A sickel

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  gator_rider2 
#1 · (Edited)

I recently bought a Haban 408A sickle to mount on my448. This will be resto-mod mounting.

I've posted to the Yahoo Haban Group with no response. Does anyone know how these mount/operate with the raising and lowering of the sickle?

Specifically, I understand how the front mounts. I understand how the left side/extension pipe mounts. What I do not understand is how the lift functions in detail. Is there a separate mount for the body of the mower and the spring/chain lowers/raises only the sickle or does this spring/chain balance the entire right side of the mower AND make the sickle move up/down?

I've found the 408D manual on line but it does not elaborate or show a independent mount for the right side, which makes me think the weight is balanced by the spring/chain.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks, Darren

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks sdunt. Yes. I found the referenced yahoo group manuals. That is the one I've been studying. After even more careful (very careful) studying there is a two-chain system. 1 appears to be a chain lift via tractor handle or hydraulics that attaches directly to the sickle to lower/raise it. Another chain system uses a spring and chain over a cam action pulley that raises and lowers that side of the mower assembly. I will have to get this mounted to truly figure this out. But now that I know what to look for, it should be solvable.

This mower is in near perfect condition. I will share experiences with description and photos when I'm done.

#5 ·
The chains support outer weight mower back to side dash tower. One with spring control brake away keeps mower pull forward. The bar lifted by handle arm strong type lifting. There no hydraulic lift on 408 Haban.

Once start install you see next steps to do and chain last one. 408 for short frame tractor 448 long frame some clamp need moving. every thing fits from alignment of belt hang from pto pulley to pulley on Hayban.

#6 ·
Thanks gator. I'll have the main engineering done this week and materials ordered. I'll engineer the lift(s) after I get it mounted. I ran through a free body diagram of the chain/spring connections and understand how it all works. (now that I know about the two chains) Appears the only thing missing from my purchase was the sickle lift chain and pulleys. They can be fabricated/purchased fairly easily.

#7 ·
The chain with spring for assist lift on mower bar, not brake away it been 5 years that I install mind. The sickle bar heavy to lift with out that spring adjusted right piece cake. The assist spring adjusted right helps tip bar slide ride over ground with lighter pressure so want brake away on grass roots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.