J46 mower height
    Thanks

J46 mower height

Hi All

I just bought a 1985 226 that came with, I believe a J46 mower (the serial tag is gone). The mower came off a mid 70's 446, so I believe I have a J46. I did replace the gauge wheels with new 6" wheels and installed new blades. I don't like real short grass so I started at the next to highest level on the height adjustment and the grass was very short. I pulled into the garage and measured the blade height and it wasn't even 2.5" off the garage floor.

My question...is this normal? If not what am I missing

Thanks in advance your responses

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    you're going to need to level the deck. the procedure is in the tech library. the gauge wheels for that deck should be 5" not 6". that's making the forward point of the deck tilt down. it should be up a tad from level. also, a "J" series mule drive sometimes has interference problems on later low wheel models that should have "L, M, or N" series decks.

Master Mechanic
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by caselover View Post
    you're going to need to level the deck. the procedure is in the tech library. the gauge wheels for that deck should be 5" not 6". that's making the forward point of the deck tilt down. it should be up a tad from level. also, a "J" series mule drive sometimes has interference problems on later low wheel models that should have "L, M, or N" series decks.
    All good advice with the exception of the red part. It is my understanding that the front should be very slightly down. If it is up the blades cut each spot twice, once when grass passes the front part, and again when it passes out the back. That increases the power needed.
    Definitely reduce the wheel size and carefully level the deck, front/back and side/side if yours has the side adjustment, not all do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenc View Post
    All good advice with the exception of the red part. It is my understanding that the front should be very slightly down. If it is up the blades cut each spot twice, once when grass passes the front part, and again when it passes out the back. That increases the power needed.
    Definitely reduce the wheel size and carefully level the deck, front/back and side/side if yours has the side adjustment, not all do.
    Ken,

With respect, I have not done a case mower. But I just had the manual out for my AC/Simplicity 7119 and that calls for the front of the blade to be 1/8" to 1/4" higher than the back. My guess is that because the main path for cut grass to exit the deck is the front of the deck, it may knock the un-cut grass down a bit, and needs the rear to do the finish cut.

Gordy

Master Mechanic
    Thanks
    every Case manual I've seen, including some on this site, have specified either level or low in the front by 1/8" so so.

Thanks
    Yep, I have read those also. Not saying the info is correct, just that that is what they say.

Bill Moyer

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies..

How is leveling the deck going to raise the blades higher than -2.5" off the ground?

I did wonder about the mule drive how would I know if this might be the height problem

Thanks

Mark

Thanks
    The front of the blade tip should never be higher than the rear. That would require each blade of grass to be cut twice (for example first at 2.5" when encountered by the front blade tip and then cut to 2.25" by the rear blade tip as it follows assuming that the deck is 1/4" high in the front. This adjustment consumes twice the engine power as a correctly adjusted deck which should have the front blade tip from level to 1/8" low.

In beaufam's case, leveling the deck will bring the grass height to what ever the rear tip of the blade now is. If the rear blade tip is now at 3" and the front is too low at 2" the adjustment will have a dramatic effect on the cutting height.

Bob