Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

448 Points/Condenser box arcing

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  navarond 
#1 ·
Hello folks,
Looking for some advice for troubleshooting an issue with my points/condenser box, that is mounted just below and between the dash and air filter drum.

I was tuning a new set of points. I took the protective box off by loosening the single top screw while the tractor was off. I used a long screwdriver to get back behind the air filter drum. Then I started it up to adjust the points by ear while the tractor was running. When it sounded good I shut it down and put the box back on.

After that, the tractor would not start back up. It would crank like crazy. Much faster than usual. But, it would not turn over. Both spark plugs had a spark, but it was weak. However, suspecting that it was still an electrical issue, I took the box back off the points/condenser and it started right up. This time I decided to replace the box while the tractor was running, and the long screwdriver was arcing electricity to the air filter drum like a spark plug.

So, I guess the screw or box is not insulating correctly, and is preventing proper engine turn over? How might I prevent this from happening? Do I need a new insulator gasket under the points/condenser plate?

See less See more
#2 ·
A couple things to check. Is the coil wire bare where it passes below the cover? Where the coil wire mounts to the points, do you have the wire mounted from the top or bottom of the screw? If mounted from the top, the crimp fitting may be shorting out on the box cover.

#5 ·
It was the crimp fitting. I guess over time, screwing the box in place had caused a dent that was putting the cover in contact with the crimp fitting. So, I put some electrical tape over that area. No more arcing. Thanks for the tip looking for black marks. They were there.
Finger Revolver Bumper Automotive exterior Thumb
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

#4 ·
I think that petr is on track here, the wire from the coil - to the breaker points is likely pinched or has a bare spot where it enters the point box. Otherwise as stated I would look for any other wiring within the box that could be touching the cover. The gasket between the base and engine block is not the issue as the base plate has to be grounded in order for the points to get a good ground when they close.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.