Reconditioning Batteries - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1mn2 View Post
    As to the suggestions of the mini battery maintainers ... I may get a couple for those that can be kept plugged in but not all of my batts are within easy reach of a power source that can be left plugged in.

As for the solar panel idea. I have one for the coach batt in my camper but its too powerful to keep plugged in all the time.
    How big is the panel on the coach? Battery Tender has a controler that may work it is for 5 to 45 watt. They also have solar panel with the controller's for those out of the way locations, but spendy

https://www.batterytender.com/solar-panels

Gordy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 687 Posts
    All good info...... I use battery maintainers on all my idle vehicles....not the HF ones for $4.95 but the ones for about 20 bucks.

Also, battery buying.....Look for the production date code STAMPED into the rubber case. Not the balloon sticker. A retailer can and has updated those stickers to make you think its fresh.
    I buy a battery that's no greater than 3 or 4 months old. As retailers stock shelves, they will discharge incrementally. Get a fresh one, and put in on a charger overnight before installing. Manufacturers may not always charge them fully at production. A battery not up to full charge upon install may never reach its full potential, and the vehicle charging system may not be robust enough to do it.
    In the "old" days, you could buy a "dry" battery and buy acid to fill it, then charge it properly. Because people have varying skills, they stopped selling them this way. So the above is a way to ensure your battery is going to provide long life.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jbadman For This Useful Post:

dundee222 (05-24-2020),Harry (05-24-2020),InTroubleAlltheTime (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,537 Times in 883 Posts
    The 4020 batt finished the desulfating cycle and the charger automatically switched to charge mode and apparently took it to completion.

I'll take some measurements after it cools down but since this batt didn't test poorly, the proof will be have to be in the performance. Maybe try it tomorrow.

Set the L&G batt on another 10 amp charge overnight finishing with 10.47V and the new charger still wants to go almost immediately to recondition mode. This will be its second round on that. Reading I've done, says that it sometimes takes several cycles. If this one doesn't do it and the next overnight charge doesn't increase voltage, its probably not recoverable. If it does, I'll keep trying.

Super Moderator InTroubleAlltheTime's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,210 Posts
    I have a battery minder here in NY and also a similar Sears one down south. They offer peace of mind. No way to know how effective they are but my batteries have been chugging along for several years. I rarely need my conventional charger. They both have maintenance and charging modes.

Rich

Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InTroubleAlltheTime View Post
    I have a battery minder here in NY and also a similar Sears one down south. They offer peace of mind. No way to know how effective they are but my batteries have been chugging along for several years. I rarely need my conventional charger. They both have maintenance and charging modes.

Rich
    Rich, same here....One is a Schauer and the other is a Diehard charger...both are battery minders. I use one on my car which gets driven very little and it keeps it right up to snuff...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jbadman For This Useful Post:

InTroubleAlltheTime (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Gonna try to start better documentation in order to see how effective the reconditioning cycle of the new charger is.

I have a multi meter, so can check VDC and 2 different hydrometers. One with a graduated scale, the other is the ball type. though in truth, I don't have a lot of confidence in the former, as it has given odd readings, more than once. I've never done temp correction for battery acid before but when I worked in a soils lab, temp. corrections for specific gravity testing was done. So, its not a foreign concept but I don't recall it making a big difference either. Seems it was just more of a standardization benchmark for scientific and legal purposes.

I have a basic 6 amp. Schumacher charger, a 2 / 10 / 50 amp Schumacher and the new charger, linked upthread. The 2/10/50, has a bad / fair / good type diagnostic gauge but I'm guessing its just very crude voltmeter.

My thoughts are, that on a cold battery, so long as V rises from to cycle to cycle, the desulfating is making progress. If it stalls out, or gains are too small, I'll move that batt to the bottom of the list, perhaps to be considered unrecoverable.

Right now, the 4020 batt is cold and reads 12.58 VDC. I'll put it in the tractor later and see how it performs but working from memory, I believe a small gain was had from the one desulfating cycle.

Next up is the L&G batt. It made large gains from one cycle but only to the 10.xx VDC. It will finish its second desulfating cycle in a couple hrs.

I have several more behind that and I'll do a better job at a start to finish type documentation.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 05-25-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks
    So, between several days of foul weather and a foul mood, I blew this off but I'm back at it.

Documenting start to finish, with specs. Since the desulfating cycle takes 24 hrs. and it can take more than 1 cycle to get the job done, its easy for me to get impatient. At the moment, I can say its a decent charger, with some nice bells and whistles and it has made measurable improvements on everything I've put it on but I can't say that its brought a battery back from the dead yet.

Thanks
    Update. Can't say back from the dead but definitely back from a nearly unserviceable condition.

The 4020 batt (March 2018, 300 CCA) took 2 desulphating cycles but just started the tractor.
    Through the process, all batts I've been working on, have improved readings at each phase. Yesterday, this one had plenty of volts but hyd. readings showed just 3 balls in several cells and would not start the tractor. Today, all are good and it fired right up. We'll see if it holds.

Next up, 10 yr. old deep cycle, 550 CCA. (coach batt) Don't recall the initial readings but you could basically call it dead. After being on the built in charger for a week, 10.68 V but every cell failed hyd. readings.

1 cycle of desulphating, then accepted the automatic charge to completion. 12.57 V but still failing cells. While waiting it's turn for the next desulphating cycle, was on a 2 amp charge.

Start of 2nd desulphating cycle @ noon with 12.72 V, 2 failed cells, 2 weak cells, 2 good cells re Hyd. readings.

Check again tomorrow.

Thanks
    The coach batt needs another round. currently on a 10 amp charger. I'll check it tomorrow night.

L&G batt from 11, 2012 275 CCA
    7.6 V after a week of being on a variable 6 amp charger. All cells drop 3 balls. Desulphating started at 6;30 p.m.