Garden 2020 - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Garden 2020

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iko View Post
    I really appreciate the advice!

As I was saying earlier in the thread, the soil is heavy and the whole area doesn't drain well. I am trying to amend it.

Dave, what can I get from you? Are you really busy these days or could I hire you to help me put some side walls on my flat bed trailer?
    We have lots of field and roma tomatoes. Wife has been caning like Krazy . I am busy for the next month working on the house new porch and finishing the new pond . Drop by as soon as you can , the tomatoes wont last long with the temps dropping like they have been .
    Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanks Dave, I was referring to sand and lime! :)) I guess I'll find a source locally, but I need to put walls to my flatbed so I can bring that stuff home.

But sure, we'll buy some tomatoes too if you have extra. Looks like your hands are full, good luck with the pond and porch!

Thanks
    Thanks Dave, I was referring to sand and lime! :)) I guess I'll find a source locally, but I need to put walls to my flatbed so I can bring that stuff home.

But sure, we'll buy some tomatoes too if you have extra. Looks like your hands are full, good luck with the pond and porch!
    Go to your local farmers and ask them to buy a few buckets lime when they do there fields . They buy it by the truck load . Masson sand works well and can be had locally . Call around .
    Dave

5. The Following User Says Thank You to david.barkey For This Useful Post:

iko (09-15-2020)

Thanks
    After a huge harvest of tomatoes and peppers which were made into salsa,soup,sauce etc., and used up all our canning supplies I decided to pull most of the plants out and just leave a couple for fresh picking. That proved to be a big mistake as the very next night a large Buck pushed the gate open and must have spent the night in there chewing everything right down to the ground, his buddies were also in with the blueberries and mangled over 20 bushes as well. Then to completely finish things off the younger dog got into the garden while I was tilling it with the 646 and pulled out the last cucumber plant and ate 2 sizeable cucumbers. Time to give up on it for this year!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bhood For This Useful Post:

iko (10-18-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhood View Post
    After a huge harvest of tomatoes and peppers which were made into salsa,soup,sauce etc., and used up all our canning supplies I decided to pull most of the plants out and just leave a couple for fresh picking. That proved to be a big mistake as the very next night a large Buck pushed the gate open and must have spent the night in there chewing everything right down to the ground, his buddies were also in with the blueberries and mangled over 20 bushes as well. Then to completely finish things off the younger dog got into the garden while I was tilling it with the 646 and pulled out the last cucumber plant and ate 2 sizeable cucumbers. Time to give up on it for this year!
    Oh no! It's still great that you had a good tomatoe harvest.

It's mid October, so I got the garden ready and today took an hour to spread the fall rye and raked it in by hand. As it was drizzling, I almost reached out for the tiller but then just grabbed the rake and did it.

This was before the rake.

And this after the rake.

Hoping to put the garlic in next weekend. That'll be it for the 2020 garden.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iko For This Useful Post:

bhood (Yesterday),Harry (10-19-2020)

Thanks
    Oh no! It's still great that you had a good tomatoe harvest.

It's mid October, so I got the garden ready and today took an hour to spread the fall rye and raked it in by hand. As it was drizzling, I almost reached out for the tiller but then just grabbed the rake and did it.

This was before the rake.

And this after the rake.

Hoping to put the garlic in next weekend. That'll be it for the 2020 garden.
    Great work! I actually love to plant and grow garlic. I use it a lot while cooking usually