Spark plug suggestions
    Thanks

Spark plug suggestions

Just looking for what plugs people are running and suggestions. I’ve got a 3014 w/model #294447 14hp Vanguard. However, restrictors have been removed and carb replaced with carb from 16hp model #303447.

currently running champion RC12YC

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Still run the RC12YC. Two years ago I had an Odyssey which is a basic 3014 and it had a blown engine. I purchased a used 16 Vanguard of similar vintage, resealed it and installed it in this Odyssey. The 16 also had the "restrictors" in the exhaust ports. This is not a restrictor, but a sleeve installed to accelerate the speed of the exhaust flow using the venturi effect. This reduces the time that the hot exhaust gasses are in the exhaust port plus the dissimilar metal effect in cooling, aiding in the overall cooling of the cylinder heads.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob MacGregor View Post
    Still run the RC12YC. Two years ago I had an Odyssey which is a basic 3014 and it had a blown engine. I purchased a used 16 Vanguard of similar vintage, resealed it and installed it in this Odyssey. The 16 also had the "restrictors" in the exhaust ports. This is not a restrictor, but a sleeve installed to accelerate the speed of the exhaust flow using the venturi effect. This reduces the time that the hot exhaust gasses are in the exhaust port plus the dissimilar metal effect in cooling, aiding in the overall cooling of the cylinder heads.
    so should I have left the sleeves in? This is first summer with 16hp carb and without those sleeves, and engine is noticeably hotter.

Plugs look really good, nice light tan color.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,062 Posts
    A 14 Vanguard is basically and under-carbureted 16 Vanguard. Replacing the 14 carb with a 16 carb does increase the amount of fuel entering the engine which will increase the amount of heat created. Generally, the cylinder heads for the 14 and 16 are the same part number meaning that the exhaust port sleeves are installed in both the 14 and 16 Vanguards. Briggs has since downgraded the 14 Vanguard to a 13, the 16, 18, 21 and 23 are still in the lineup.
    Last edited by Bob MacGregor; 05-17-2020 at 09:05 PM. Reason: correction