‘Free spinning’ BF
    Thanks

‘Free spinning’ BF

Hey everyone, a few days ago I used my 446 to till a good plot for a friend. Then a garden for a friend. Then some small things around the house. Last night I went to till our own garden and as soon as I dropped the tiller into the dirt it started to ‘free spin’ if you will. The engine just ramped up and started to run very fast and loud. I panicked and shut it off. Now I can’t get it started. I have a lot of hours in this engine (decarb, new gaskets all around, new points, adjusted tappets, etc) and can’t figure out what it could be. Does anybody have any ideas what’s happened?? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 547 Posts
    Can you expand on the symptoms? Does the engine crank, but won't start? Won't crank?

In your panic have you set the PTO control for the tiller to off and all of the safeties are closed, tractor is in neutral, belt PTO off, etc

All engines need AIR, FUEL and spark in order to run. So, is there spark at both cylinders? Be careful, onan's will sometimes smoke the coil if the plugs or wires are not grounded when you crank the engine. And, if the plugs are left near the spark plug holes, you could create a nice torch if it ignites the air coming out of the hole.

If you have spark, then if you dump 1 teaspoon of gas down the carb throat, does it pop, or run for 1/2 a second? If so, then we might not be getting gas, etc.

let us know how those test turn out.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 998 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas1024 View Post
    Hey everyone, a few days ago I used my 446 to till a good plot for a friend. Then a garden for a friend. Then some small things around the house. Last night I went to till our own garden and as soon as I dropped the tiller into the dirt it started to ‘free spin’ if you will. The engine just ramped up and started to run very fast and loud. I panicked and shut it off. Now I can’t get it started. I have a lot of hours in this engine (decarb, new gaskets all around, new points, adjusted tappets, etc) and can’t figure out what it could be. Does anybody have any ideas what’s happened?? Thanks!
    Please take pictures of the linkages and springs that go to your governor arm. Can you move the governor arm by hand?

Look into the carb throat, and take pictures for us. When you throttle up, does the carb throttle butterfly move?

Check cable that goes to the throttle, everything connected? Pictures again,,

Do all this before you try and get it going. The only thing that would make a motor run away, RPM wise, would be something with the governor I would think.

Now, why it doesn't start, is another guess, but lets isolate one thing at a time, to start with,,

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I found the problem over the weekend. Two of the three screws that hold the air cleaner on we’re missing. I found them holding both I take valves open. Lucky for me the valve doesn’t open far enough for the large screw head to fall into the cylinder. Everything runs fine now and I was able to till my own garden. Thanks for your input!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jas1024 For This Useful Post:

dundee222 (05-25-2020),Gordy (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,469 Posts
    Lucky guy!!! A little threadlocker on those screws wouldn't hurt.

Thanks
    No kidding. I’ll have to pick some up!