Electrical troubleshooting, any advice? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Got the fuse pop issue repaired and my kohler started. Didn’t smoke at all. Very happy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan444 View Post
    Got the fuse pop issue repaired and my kohler started. Didn’t smoke at all. Very happy.
    That's excellent news! 😁 What was the fix for the fuse?

Thanks
    I’m not 100% certain. I tightened some connections, cleaned a few, and replaced the ring on the green wire to the starter. No fuse pop after all that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan444 For This Useful Post:

Seabee (06-19-2020)

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Dan444,

Thanks for posting your findings and the apparent fix. We need that info so that we can diagnose our own issues sometimes. Or maybe so it is there when we do have the issue. Thanks again.

Bill

Thanks
    Anyone not getting spark, pay real good attention to the in depth post by Lionel. This should be a sticky somewhere. I screwed up my courage last night though I was concerned for the coil. I didn’t connect the battery at first, trying to ohm connections and clean/tighten. After working through everything, no other choice but put the battery on and perform tests. Did that and kept getting stuck again at the lack of ground from neutral safety. So I jumped the small post solenoid, expecting the fuse to pop. It didn’t so something with cleaning, tightening, replacing nearly ripped green wire ring connector worked. I think I’m going to wire in the neutral safety and see if it actually works instead of jumping.

Thanks
    I am fairly certain I know what is happening/happened. When I put the cover back on my points, no spark. Take the cover off, spark. The issue now is trying to figure why. The points look good, work fine with cover off. The wire to the points appears to be in reasonable condition. I don’t see any fraying on it. I’m not real sure why this is happening. Any ideas what to look for?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
    I am fairly certain I know what is happening/happened. When I put the cover back on my points, no spark. Take the cover off, spark. The issue now is trying to figure why. The points look good, work fine with cover off. The wire to the points appears to be in reasonable condition. I don’t see any fraying on it. I’m not real sure why this is happening. Any ideas what to look for?
    If the wire insulation is OK then I'd check that the connector on the end of the wire is not turned to make contact with the cover.

Gordy

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordy For This Useful Post:

Dan444 (06-28-2020),Lionel (06-28-2020)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,946 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Just test to see if the wire is grounded. Make sure your points are open, stick cover on, and test to see if the wire coming out is grounded. Test light or Ohm meter should work well for this.

As Gordy points out, the end of the wire where it connects to the points might be turned just a bit, causing it to ground against the cover, or the screw that holds the cover on.

What type of points cover do you have, 1 screw on top, or a rear facing cover plate?

I have always stuck a new wire in, to go from points to coil,

Thanks
    I had a 446 years ago that would not run with the points cover on. Cover was a screw through the top. Ran good without the cover. Even though the points and wire were new, when I put cover on, no run. Apparently when I put the cover on I had cut the new wire insulation and grounded that wire. As soon as I moved the wire just a tad and put shrink tube on, it worked fine.

Bill

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabee For This Useful Post:

Dan444 (06-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. My cover has two screws, one on top, one on bottom. Not sure what rear facing plate means. I’ll bust out the volt meter tomorrow. I thought that wire was ok. But.. Great ideas and sounds likely something up with that wire.