How to clean an engine?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How to clean an engine?

So my 446, Onan powered, has a film of grime and grass on it, all over. It's black and oily that can be scraped off with a screwdriver or putty knife. Can I spray the motor down with Simple Green and hose off? What about behind the front tin where the stator is? The cylinder fins are clear of grass but has that grime on them. I scraped them clean but can I spray them down and hose off? I'm not talking a pressure washer, but garden hose pressure. The tractor is in current use so disassembly is not feasable at the moment. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Personally I don't fool around with the garden hose on my equipment. I hit it with degreaser, let it soak for a few minutes, and blow it out with the power washer. I keep a good distance back and avoid breathers, dipsticks, air cleaners, etc but your stator should be fine. Taking the tins off and cleaning is always a bonus.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FastEddie For This Useful Post:

dundee222 (05-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,598 Times in 1,487 Posts
    If your engine is leaking oil, it would be good to take the tins off and find out where. The cooling passages around the valve box and ports are pretty small and VERY important. You don't want them plugged and overheat the valves and seats.

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,518 Posts
    I use 50-50 solution oil eater and water in a spray bottle, spray it on use a nylon parts brush if needed and rinse with clear water and repeat if required.
    The oil eater is non toxic and biodegradable, but it will discolor some types of paint.

Your stator is behind and sets within the flywheel so no worries about getting water in it.
    If Simple Green works for you I wouldn't worry about using it!

Jim

Thanks
    So, when I take the tins off and can see the stator, it's ok if it gets wet? I just want to be sure before I do something dumb and need to do more work.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petr View Post
    So, when I take the tins off and can see the stator, it's ok if it gets wet? I just want to be sure before I do something dumb and need to do more work.
    Yes, I have cleaned them in my parts washer, sprayed them down with my oil eater solution rinsed them off with a hose and hung them up to day.

Many of them, my 4020ps had an oil leak when I bought it with a broken rod, the flywheel stator was packed with oil and crap.
    I cleaned everything first with a plastic putty knife then oil eater as described three years ago, after rebuild it's now my primary tractor.

I hang them up to dry for 4 hours or so someplace warm.

Jim

Thanks
    Thank you. I won't be tearing the stator out, but will have it drying overnight on the tractor in the garage before I fire it up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to petr For This Useful Post:

jfk (06-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,598 Times in 1,487 Posts
    Blow dry it with air. Also good to clean the looser crap out of it before soaking it with water and soap.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dundee222 For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (06-06-2020),jfk (06-06-2020),tss8690 (06-06-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jfk View Post
    I use 50-50 solution oil eater and water in a spray bottle, spray it on use a nylon parts brush if needed and rinse with clear water and repeat if required.
    The oil eater is non toxic and biodegradable, but it will discolor some types of paint.
    Jim
    What is your "oil eater"?

Thanks
    In Racine Wisconsin is a company D.W. Davies 3200 Phillips AvenueRacine, WI 53403 Phone 1-800-888-6133, They sell a product call "DC 99" and it works great for cleaning up oil spills.

I have used the product, and have a gallon in the garage now.

for what it worth, and help to anyone needing to get rid or oil spill. (and NO I don't work for them)

gean444

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gean444 For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (06-07-2020),dundee222 (06-07-2020)