"Spukhafte wirkung" in the idler bracket on J44 mow deck - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    OK boys. Turns out the 3/8" bolt holding the deck idler pulley had gone all awry and allowed hella slop in the pulley orientation. Thusly stretching and tearing up my, at the time, brand new Oregon deck belt. I went to the hardware store and purchased all the bits and pieces to rebuild the mounting hardware. The only thing reused was the idler pulley and the bracket. Bought a new deck belt (again) and all was In Ordnung.

That is, until the last 20% of my next mow, when the PTO lever kept popping out of engagement every 2 mins. And so,... that's it. This piece of trash lemon machine is getting sent to the curb.

I've been through every single system in this machine, set every mention-able maintenance item to spec, spent $$$ on parts and somewhere around 50 hours tuning this machine up and been rewarded with 4 breakdowns over 4 mows.

Mow 1: PTO clutch squeaking wildly - PTO rebuilt
    Mow 2: This 0.100" washer nightmare
    Mow 3: Garbage mow deck idler pulley - Mounting hardware rebuilt
    Mow 4: PTO lever popping out of engagement - ALLES KAPUTT and I'm not playing the fool anymore

The only thing this machine has successfully done over the 10 wks I've owned it, is pull a 10 cu ft dump cart half-full of mulch a few hundred feet. What a shame and a total waste of my time.

If anyone wants it, I'm in Metro Detroit. Send me a message. Otherwise, I'm gonna take it into the city and park it in front of the first abandoned lot I find (which will be instantaneous once I cross Telegraph Rd.)
    Last edited by hempdiddy; 06-26-2020 at 12:48 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,418 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Real sorry your giving up on your tractor
    Did you blance your blades, I've never seen a deck sake like yours is doing
    There's something not right, bent blade, bad shaft, loose pully
    If you were 2 hours closer I take it off your hands, I'm not having the best of luck this year myself.
    Take more photos, take the belt cover off and take a few pic's ok would you and buy some Case belts, your just throwing money down the drain with those"
    Oregon deck belt"
    Were not there to help and look things over so pic's are the next best thing.

bigman

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
    Hempdiddy,

Step back and relax, and remember you did not buy a brand new tractor. I don't remember what tractor you have, but many of these are 30 and 40 years old. Most of us are tinkers and understand these great tractors have many wear items that will need replacing from time to time. And buying a used anything is a roll of the dice, you have no way of knowing if or how the PO maintained it.

First; CI uses odd belts, they are 9/16 inch across the back. I have yet to find them anywhere other than a CI dealer. Many claim to have them, but they lye and send you a 1/2" belt that sits deeper in the pulley's and may actually bottom out so that the sides may not fully grip the pulley. It does not take much slippage to cause the belt to over heat and disintegrate.

Second; I had 2 clutch's do that. The first, I F---ed up on reassembly
    Then I printed out the instructions to have with me instead of working off memory of what I had read on the PC and got it right the second time. The second clutch had a bearing going bad slowly eating it self on one of the cams and would not stay engaged.

Hang in there

Gordy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordy For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (06-26-2020)

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    If you are not using OEM parts with most things you are going to have issues. If you do not understand how things function or go together 100 percent you are going to have issues. It can be a learning curve. Most issues come from lack of maintenance, abuse, incompetent "mechanics" working on them for whatever reason. Hardly ever a "lemon" or just a POS tractor fault. Good news is it all can be fixed by correct parts and competent hands. Lets put this into perspective if this was a lemon it would certainly not lasted 25 to 50 years, unlike human lemons....

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCKLAND VALLEY For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (06-26-2020),dundee222 (06-26-2020),Gordy (06-26-2020),tss8690 (06-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 927 Posts
    I know some people who bought a brand new Husqvarna lawn tractor.

In the first yr. they owned it, I think they had it about 3 weeks. All the rest of the time, it was in for repairs and they couldn't even go and get it to change their mind, since Loews sent warranty work 100 or so miles away.

Got a ticket for too long of grass, had to contract that out. It took some arguing but the co. did eventually make everything alright.

They had a lemon. You probably don't have a lemon. Lemons don't generally last 40 yrs. But even if you do have some sort of unfixable gremlins in your PTO or its drive, you still have a running tractor that can do other work. Throwing it away is wasteful and unnecessary and at least what you have is built tough enough that it can be rebuilt and last. New stuff, not so much.

I'll second the notion that OEM parts, especially belts, should be used. None of the aftermarket versions I've tried in my 30 yrs. of Ingersoll experience have functioned, or lasted near as well.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 06-26-2020 at 10:11 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

Gordy (06-26-2020),tss8690 (06-26-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman View Post
    Real sorry your giving up on your tractor
    Did you blance your blades, I've never seen a deck sake like yours is doing
    There's something not right, bent blade, bad shaft, loose pully
    If you were 2 hours closer I take it off your hands, I'm not having the best of luck this year myself.
    Take more photos, take the belt cover off and take a few pic's ok would you and buy some Case belts, your just throwing money down the drain with those"
    Oregon deck belt"
    Were not there to help and look things over so pic's are the next best thing.

bigman

The quaking mow deck as been fixed. Resolution is described in paragraph one of my post #11. I'm currently out-of-order because of the issue w/ the PTO lever slipping (or sliding, or popping) out of engagement.

Thanks
    hemp
    Sorry I read post 11# and then looked at the video again, my bad
    Your drive belt was going nuts, that might be why the PTO whent out of a adjustment
    I did a seach for adjusting the PTO Clutch and there's a few good ones you might what to look at it might help with your problem, plus we have some great parts and service manuals.

https://casecoltingersoll.com/showthread.php/17269-PTO-Clutch-Rebuild-or-Replace
    Also parts are available from our great dealers
    Pic's still help how much of a gap between the plate and the clutch ?
    with the arm back and when it's forward ??

bigman

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bigman For This Useful Post:

hempdiddy (06-29-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tss8690 View Post
    Silly question but had you been mowing thick, wet grass before the excessive vibrations started? You might have a clump of grass on one (or more) of the blades that are causing an imbalance.

FWIW, in my time working on these machines, more often than not problems can be resolved though the simplest of explanations.

Junior MemberJoin DateDec 2011LocationGreen Springs, OhioPosts22Thanks9Thanked 10 Times in 5 PostsFeedback Score

I agree. My first thought was something wrapped around a blade spindle. Easy check. If not, proceed.

I agree. You may just have something wrapped around a blade spindkle.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman View Post
    Your drive belt was going nuts, that might be why the PTO whent out of a adjustment

bigman
    Yeah thanks. You're probably right about the drive belt pulling the PTO gap out of spec while the mow deck wobbled all to hell. I haven't spent anytime with the machine since my last mow, but I know how to get the gap back into spec. I've already done it twice before. It's fun taking the front end all apart in order to adjust the gap, and since I hate fun, I don't know when, or if (50+ hrs into this machine is already too many) I'll get around to doing it.

I'm about 10 seconds away from pulling the trigger on a new Ferris 400S to tackle my rather simple 2 acres of lawn, which this Case 444 has not been able to do.

Thanks
    I know how you fell
    You fix one problem then another one pops up
    You did the right thing by walking away for a bit
    I've got a black frame 444 I picked up 10 years ago for 5 bills the only and I mean only once have I had any trouble with it and it was the clutch, my youngest took it home and the first time she tried using it the clutch took a dump, it's sill seating out in the barn I'm right in the middle of rebuilding it again, honestly I'd ride it over my to may wires and Hyd. lines on my 4020ps it reminds me of a Harley always dripping oil, when it runs right it's just a grass cutting monster
    I hear ya and understand how your felling when you come down you can fix it you have before don't give up yet, ok

bigman