18 hp Vanguard wiring brand new never run
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

18 hp Vanguard wiring brand new never run

I am installing a new Vanguard 18 in a frame that i am rebuilding for my loader. The frame is bare,zero wiring,switches,etc. I have completely rewired Cases before but they always had a Kohler with a starter/generator and a regulator with a starter solenoid. I have no experience with a Briggs and could not find a schematic in the manual section nor on the Briggs web site.
    The engine is:Model 305775-Type 0128-E1-Code 07010911.
    If you look at the picture, this what I have.
    According to Briggs, the engine has a 13 Amp charging circuit.
    Am I correct that the terminal on the bottom of the starter goes to the pos battery.
    Instructions only said the purple wire goes to the ignition switch and should have 12 v when in the run position. Don't know where the red wire goes.
    What I have read so far is that you DO NOT connect 12v to the coil for starting/stopping the engine?? Instead you de-energize the fuel solenoid?? On what wire or how does the charging current get back to the battery, hopefully you are not going to run 13 amps through the ignition switch.
    I haven't bought any other parts for the electric system yet and I don't want to fry a rectifier before I even start.
    Thanks for your help, if there was a schematic on this forum, I'm sorry, I couldn't find it.
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 756 Posts
    Bill,

In your picture there is a white wire connected to a plastic insulated stud, this is to ground the magnitos (kill the engine). You will want to get a new ignition switch from one of the dealers, make sure you tell them it is for a BS VG.

Gordy

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordy For This Useful Post:

baybilly (06-06-2020),bbpitts (06-06-2020)

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,099 Posts
    bbpits,
    A few things need to be cleared up about your 18 Vanguard:
    Your pic shows a horizontal shaft Vanguard engine, but the model number (305775) is not correct. An 18 Vanguard would be a 350 or 356 if a later model and 775 designates a vertical shaft engine, plain bearing pressure lubrication, electric starter only 12 or 24 volt gear drive. Based on the pic, which is a horizontal shaft engine with electric starter and alternator, your engine is likely a 350447.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob MacGregor For This Useful Post:

bbpitts (06-06-2020)

Thanks
    What are you using for a frame for a loader?
    Your pic shows a horizontal shaft twin Vanguard with a starter motor, a regulator/rectifier and a relay. Older engines need battery power from the key switch for ignition. Newer engines such as the Vanguard make their own spark by cranking over. To shut them down, the primary side of the ignition coils needs to be grounded. The stud on the side of the blower housing, where the white wire is connected, does this and the white wire is connected into the relay. The relay is there so a standard battery power ignition switch can still be utilized. The regulator/rectifier shown is the usual for a 16 AMP charging system. The red wire from the R/R that is connected to the purple wire is the charging system output to the battery directly or thru the keyswitch. The red wire coming from the relay goes to the battery ignition terminal on the keyswitch. The black wire coming out of a hole in the cooling baffle and near the R/R is connected into the relay and is for the fuel shutoff solenoid in the carb. You do need a starter solenoid to operate this starter motor. Check out the pic of my 18 Vanguard repower in a 4018 that originally had been Onan P 218 powered.

P6060002.jpeg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob MacGregor For This Useful Post:

Gordy (06-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 756 Posts
    Thanks Bob I did not see the relay

Gordy

Thanks
    Gory and Bob
    Thank you
    Don't know about the engine numbers, I bought this from Small Engine Warehouse.
    I sending a picture of the plate that is on the engine.
    Thanks Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Bob
    To answer your other question about the loader frame. The frame is a 444.
    The inside of the frame is boxed with 1/8 plate and the outside has a 1/8 by 3" plate welded from from mid engine position to the end of the frame. I have already purchased 4 lug hubs and axle stubs and I have not made a decision on the rest of the front axle yet. I also made a frame for a weight box that will be semi permanently bolted to the back.
    if you look at my earlier post, I have already made the loader and it works great.
    This is not intended for construction work, move a little dirt and a few bags of mulch.
    I need a loader like I need a hole in my head, I just like to weld and make things.
    Bill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob MacGregor View Post
    bbpits,
    A few things need to be cleared up about your 18 Vanguard:
    Your pic shows a horizontal shaft Vanguard engine, but the model number (305775) is not correct. An 18 Vanguard would be a 350 or 356 if a later model and 775 designates a vertical shaft engine, plain bearing pressure lubrication, electric starter only 12 or 24 volt gear drive. Based on the pic, which is a horizontal shaft engine with electric starter and alternator, your engine is likely a 350447.
    For Bob Mac;
    I have been working on the tractor and did not check out the discrepancy you observed on my new engine.
    As I said, I bought this from Small Engine Warehouse and they modified it to fit a Case 444. When they reassembled it, could a fan shroud from a 18 hp vertical been installed instead of the original shroud?
    I have looked at pictures on their site and a 18 hp vertical and horizontal look quite similar.
    It would only make a difference later on if I would need parts and I would like to know the real serial number of my engine. Do you know if the serial number is stamped any where else?
    Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Hi bbpitts,
    The blower housing for a vertical shaft Vanguard has a different part number from a horizontal shaft Vanguard. Some Briggs engines have the model information acid etched on the engine, not sure if they all do. I don't see it on my 2004 vintage horizontal shaft 18 Vanguard. The data plate on your engine is for a vertical shaft 16 HP Vanguard, but you purchased a horizontal shaft 18 Vanguard supposedly. I would contact Small Engine Warehouse, explain the situation and request that they correctly identify the engine that you purchased and provide another blower housing with the correct data plate for the engine that you purchased. There is still a question as to if your engine is a 16 or 18 HP Vanguard.
    There is a clamp and bracket available to mount a starter solenoid onto the starter motor, but regardless of where it is mounted, you will need a starter solenoid.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/co...ngineSpecs.pdf

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob MacGregor For This Useful Post:

bbpitts (06-21-2020)