retrofitting new style engine mounts - Case 442
    Thanks

retrofitting new style engine mounts - Case 442

2 questions for the brain trust, I've searched and not found it:

I have a '72 or '73 442 with the K301 in it. It does not have the newer style engine mount brackets with the rubber mounts. The block is just bolted to the frame.

I've been using it for 9 years this way, and it seems fine, but presumably the design was improved for a good reason.

Anyway, I've just acquired a k341 (16HP) out of a generator that I'd like to put into the 442. The old Kohler is a bit smoky, and I'd love the extra HP. The 16 seems like it must have low hours, no smoke at all, and great compression.

As part of the repower, I'd like to upgrade to the improved engine mounts. The info I have found tells me that the bracket is bent at 120 degrees. What does the side of the frame look like where the bolts go through? Is it just (oversize) holes drilled with the bolts going through at an angle? Or did they weld some kind of DOM spacer at the appropriate angle for the bolt to go through?

And the crankshaft output end on the K341 is tapered. Is that how the K301 is too? I keep hearing people say that they "had to shorten" their crankshaft, and that doesn't make any sense with a taper. Am I going to have to track down a taper-fit lovejoy half?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobneumann View Post
    2 questions for the brain trust, I've searched and not found it:

I have a '72 or '73 442 with the K301 in it. It does not have the newer style engine mount brackets with the rubber mounts. The block is just bolted to the frame.

I've been using it for 9 years this way, and it seems fine, but presumably the design was improved for a good reason.

Anyway, I've just acquired a k341 (16HP) out of a generator that I'd like to put into the 442. The old Kohler is a bit smoky, and I'd love the extra HP. The 16 seems like it must have low hours, no smoke at all, and great compression.

As part of the repower, I'd like to upgrade to the improved engine mounts. The info I have found tells me that the bracket is bent at 120 degrees. What does the side of the frame look like where the bolts go through? Is it just (oversize) holes drilled with the bolts going through at an angle? Or did they weld some kind of DOM spacer at the appropriate angle for the bolt to go through?

And the crankshaft output end on the K341 is tapered. Is that how the K301 is too? I keep hearing people say that they "had to shorten" their crankshaft, and that doesn't make any sense with a taper. Am I going to have to track down a taper-fit lovejoy half?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
    So I've done some digging and browsing and Googling and I've found my own answers. There are DOM spacers welded in the frame at an angle to screw in the bolts through the rubber mounts.

And the factory config had a round keyed shaft, so I am going to have to adapt from the tapered output shaft. As the shaft is, it doesn't even have a woodruff key slot, it relied solely on the taper fit friction to transmit the torque. I think I'll mount it up in the mill and cut in a woodruff key slot.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 817 Posts
    All generator and welder have tappered shaft and very long Bolt down center armature so pull tight to tapper.
    These tractors have centering ring machined into block for pump adapter so be in center you see this if take adapter off block. A machist can cut crankshaft down like K321. A Gravely tractor and few other have straight shaft 16 horsepower it to long easy to shorten saw off to lenght need then can find lovejoy half that work