Kohler K321 crank seal replacement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Kohler K321 crank seal replacement

Very bad news. Iím getting oil on my flywheel shroud. Seems like the crank seal is not doing well. Iím wondering if this can be replaced in the case 444 while the engine is still on the tractor or it needs to be dismantled?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,022 Posts
    These motors usually run without building up pressure inside the block. If pressure does build up inside the block, that pressure needs to come out someplace, and this pressure will relieve itself,, quite often via the seals. Pressure builds up from maybe a clogged breather or, piston blow-by.

You'll have to determine if perhaps, that's why yours appears to be leaking/weeping.

Without knowing they model year, The front seal, you should be able to replace it without getting the whole motor out the tractor, Once you get the flywheel off, you should be able to get at it, (if not, seals can be a pain to pull out) you may end up having to pull the bearing plate off to push seal off.

Is this the motor you had off, a month or so ago?

Thanks
    Yes this is the same motor I had off. (76 btw) I’m suspecting that while out, material of some sort stayed in the engine and worked its way to rip into the oil seal. I like your theory much better though. I’m going to re check the breather before dismantling everything. Seems like a good idea. Blow by shouldn’t be happening, as I put in new rings.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I had a thought on this. As silly as it sounds, I’m having trouble seeing oil on the dipstick. The manual for my engine says there are two differ t amounts of oil depending on what engine I have. I was a bit nervous when I didn’t see oil on the dipstick so added some in. Still can’t see it, but at some point after adding the last bit of oil, I started seeing this leak. I figured I couldn’t really see on the dipstick due to new engine oil being pure, clean. I drained a bit out last night and no, it’s not clear and clean. Dark and blah. I still don’t see it on the dipstick though. So... I’m wondering I overfilled and oil is blowing out where it shouldn’t be. Problem is... how to tell this condition. Why in the world wouldn’t I be able to see the oil on the dipstick. ??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,022 Posts
    Well,
    I'd start by dumping the old oil, (saved dumped oil) and refill with the proper amount of oil.

Depending on year and serial number, I'd say add 3 pints of oil,, (which should be listed in the owners manuals online here).

After 3 pints, check oil level with dipstick. You could even use a "measured hard wire" to see if your dipstick is even the correct one. These motors, don't like overly filled, or under filled.

Check the old level, dump the used oil into the 3 pints container,, Was it close to 3 pints? (1.5 US qts)?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lionel For This Useful Post:

Dan444†(07-01-2020)

Thanks
    Last night after posting I had the same idea about draining oil and measuring. Answer is I had roughly 2 quarts in there.

I checked the breather and it looks good. Hoping the overfill culprit. My dipstick is a bit interesting. It doesnít seem to ďlatchĒ when pressed down. I inspected last night and found a rather worn and frayed rubber o ring. Iím not certain this is original, or something someone stuck on there. Itís not functioning well at any rate.

This is is my dipstick. Tractor year is 76, assume engine is original. Iíve seen a few jpegs around and I think this is the correct stick. Any ideas about the o ring on top?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    The stick looks like the one on a K241 I had. The handle or cap on yours doesn't look like anything I've seen on a Kohler. Mine had a square head pipe plug with the stick attached to it. I wonder if someone made the handle for a different engine and the assembly ended up on yours. That could explain the incorrect depth of it.

Thanks
    I just noticed something else. From your picture it looks like the stick was cut down in the middle and re-welded? If that is the case, I think you are dealing with a modified part.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
    Hmmm Don't I have something like that in the "to do" lineup Yep The engine is in a 222-78.

Bad camera angle. The tape is flush with the end of the dipstick. End of stick to bottom of plug 7 & 1/4"
    Attachment 115469
    SAM_0710.jpg

Orange dot is dipstick.
    Attachment 115471
    SAM_0711.jpg

SAM_0712.jpg
    Attachment 115473

Gordy
    Last edited by Gordy; 07-03-2020 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Fix picture (I hope)

Thanks
    I realized I was missing the rear gasket on my breather. I’m not sure how much this matters, but I ordered one anyway. Seems can only help.

The dipstick is is not welded, there is just a few chunks taken out. When my gasket arrives, I’ll put a quart and a half oil and see how it goes. I’m going to leave the upper dipstick gasket off, as the stick seems to fit better without it.