1977 Case 446 _ It Came from the Weeds - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Wow, that is a great website. I will probably built this offload rack, was trying to think of a way to do it.

I would also like how clean the hydraulic lines are on that 3018

Thanks for the info

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodzie For This Useful Post:

Gordy (06-27-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 783 Posts
    Glad you liked it But I suppose I should have just posted the picture and not the link. Now when you get the loader finished, you'll probable have to start on a hoe for you tractor

Gordy

Thanks
    I'm at it again.

I was up north fishing and wasting time looking at kijiji and I started to look into a generator swap into my tractor as an option to get a really good donor block that will be way cheaper than rebuilding my b43 (again)

I saw the kijiji ad for a generator that will start but not run for $125. looked pretty rough in the photo but at least it was stored inside. I could see by the paper that the controllers were for a 4BGE.

Did my usually amount of research and went for it. For that price even just the block would be cheaper then boring the old one. I assume

Went out to pick it up and the owner has the craziest shop I've ever seen. He had a hand built can-am car with a 13b. he also had an austin mini type car with a 1000cc snowmobile motor in it. A Suzuki RE rotory bike. An AMC pacer with a 13b in it because that was GM's original plan before they chickened out. Just crazy.

He has another Onan genny that is in better shape but he was asking 500 for that one.

The third pic is his garage
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Woodzie For This Useful Post:

CobyDog$10 (07-13-2020),curtisfox (07-12-2020),dasser82 (07-12-2020),dundee222 (07-13-2020),Gordy (07-12-2020),iko (07-11-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Watching with interest! Great story! Hope rog see it running!

Thanks
    Here it is when I got it home.

Motor is a 4BGE-FA/26100 and from what I read it is an Onan Performer P218 I think. It has points ignition so it is pretty much an exact match with my B43.

It will need a crank pulse port for the fuel pump on the b43 carb.

It will need the crank shaft turned so I can fit the lovejoy coupler on or if anybody knows of a tapered option coupler with a woodruff key cut in.

I started it with some carb spray and it sounds very good. doesn't clack or knock as the engine comes to a stop. These generators are nice, Huge oil pan. The whole gen set weighs 216lbs and the block is maybe 50lbs so that generator is a big brute full of copper. I am going to try to document this swap to help anybody in the future because they are such a great source of donor motors for these tractors.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodzie For This Useful Post:

CobyDog$10 (07-13-2020)

Thanks
    Here's some picks of the BGE internals. I had already cleaned the pistons but you can see the head has a lot of carbon.

bigger combustion chamber on the BGE head. More central spark plug location

There is a pic of the huge oil pan that bolts on and a pic of my flywheel puller. Back the flywheel bolt out a little bit. It puts a bit of a pull of the flywheel. give the end of the puller a smack with a hammer and pop its off.

cylinders look so nice compared to my b43

Need to open the governor gear and remove 5 of the 10 governor balls to increase the max engine speed from 1800rpm to 3600rpm

And a pic of the dreaded tapered output shaft. I'm going to see if I can find a machinist who can turn it down without disassembling the whole short block. might get laughed at.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woodzie For This Useful Post:

CobyDog$10 (07-13-2020),dave1mn2 (07-12-2020),Gordy (07-12-2020)

Thanks
    Pulled the b43 out of the tractor, pulled the flywheel and pulled the coupler. The b43 coupler looks like 1.1 inch.

Went to Princess Auto and purchased a new rubber spider for the lovejoy coupler and both a 7/8" coupler and a 1" coupler just in case I needed the smaller one.

It's looking like the 1" is the one just because the 7/8 would take a little to much metal off if not required.

Cleaned up the 4BGE and gasket surfaces with 120 grit on a sanding block.

took the tiny clip off the cam gear to remove the governor cover plate. removed 5 balls as pictured.

Tomorrow I'll ask around about getting the crank turned down, hopefully with the block attached. I really don't want to tear the factory built motor apart if I can avoid it.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodzie For This Useful Post:

CobyDog$10 (07-13-2020),dave1mn2 (07-13-2020)

Just a bit North-East of Sacramento, California
    Thanks
    Would it be possible to get the engine running and use it to turn the tapper shaft? That is, rig up a cross slide from a drill press vice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LJohnSaw View Post
    Would it be possible to get the engine running and use it to turn the tapper shaft? That is, rig up a cross slide from a drill press vice.
    The vibrations from a running engine would cause a problem I think. A guy on the old Yahoo group set the engine up on his lath with the spark plugs removed and replaced with some sort of filters. He had the flywheel end in the chuck, a live center on the other end, and wood shims between the lath ways and oil pan.

Gordy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,651 Times in 1,504 Posts
    Just machine a lovejoy coupler to fit the crank taper and retaining bolt. Easy and done.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dundee222 For This Useful Post:

Woodzie (07-13-2020)