1977 Case 446 _ It Came from the Weeds - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundee222 View Post
    Just machine a lovejoy coupler to fit the crank taper and retaining bolt. Easy and done.
    Won't the retaining bolt interfere with the spider? Don't think I'd want to carve up the spider to make it fit, might be a short life for it

Gordy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    That is what the machinist wants to do. Taper the lovejoy coupler and then a retaining bolt. He said he will think something up that will work. They seemed to be concerned with how hard the crank is to cut and would rather cut the lovejoy. I mentioned putting the whole motor in the lathe and did get laughed at.

The spider has a 1/4" indent in the middle to accommodate a bolt head. I might need to shave the bolt head down a bit. I'll see what I get back from the machinist.

I have another flywheel on the way so I will be waiting for that to show up hopefully by the end of july.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 2,651 Times in 1,504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    Won't the retaining bolt interfere with the spider? Don't think I'd want to carve up the spider to make it fit, might be a short life for it

Gordy
    Counterbore the lovejoy for a recessed washer and socket head capscrew would be an simple way to reduce or eliminate any spider hacking.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dundee222 For This Useful Post:

Gordy (07-24-2020)

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Still waiting for my coupling to get tapered, I took the opportunity to take a breath and get the dash area cleaned up.

My new used flywheel showed up and looks great. I never knew if you lube a tapered flywheel it will crack it. Good thing Boomer told me that or I would have probably cracked the new one too.

I didnt really have a good day in the shop trying to get the steering wheel off. the wheel was already broken and held together with JB weld but it is more broken now. I was left looking at the metal hub inside the wheel stuck on to the keyed shaft.

I put the puller on it, no go.

Puller with heat, nope.

Soaked it with atf/acetone overnight, puller, heat, hammer, nope.

Heat and quench then puller, heat and hammer, nope.

So I just cut it with a cut off wheel and it pulled off. I found out that the shock from the hammer hitting the puller broke the needle off of my ammeter gauge that sucks.

I also found out that this is a tough little area to work on. the control levers don't want to come out. it looks like the handles need to come off and that is not happening. they are super old and would probably fall apart under any kind of twisting. So I figured I'll cut the decal and sneak it around the steering shaft and levers.

Removed the old sticker, de-greased, sanded, painted black, clear coated dash area.

I repaired the ammeter with a bit of plastic (because the needle was in 3 pieces). Jb weld again to hold the new needle in place. Then JB weld the whole thing together. I also left the glass piece on top of a rag with wax and grease remover and the rubber gasket expanded so it wouldn't fit in the gauge anymore. One of those times when everything I touch goes to crap.

Moving forward I put the decal on the dash finally. It went on okay, some bubbles but pretty good and looks so much better. Black paint underneath is a must because it is so hard to line up all those holes and seams in one go. the throttle/choke slots would have looked off if it was not black underneath.

I have a plan for an oil pressure warning lamp on the dash which will run off of a signal inverter so when the low pressure switch goes open the lamp will turn on. I have a hole in the dash so why not.
    Last edited by Woodzie; 07-23-2020 at 10:58 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodzie For This Useful Post:

dundee222 (07-24-2020),Gordy (07-23-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

Gordy
    No, you counter bore the lovejoy to accept a heavy "washer" with a taper in the center to match aflat head cap screw.
    Dave

10. The Following User Says Thank You to david.barkey For This Useful Post:

Gordy (07-24-2020)

Thanks
    Found a new steering wheel, it's not perfect but it's good enough for me. It mounts in a different way. I had to cut the threaded section off and drill a 1/4" hole for a roll pin. It also needed a 3/4 - 5/8 reducer bushing.

During disassembly I found I little plastic bushing under the drive lever that was all worn out. I printed out a copy, not sure how it will fit yet but when its done I will post a link to the STL file so people can print it out.

Thanks
    Woodzie, Princes Auto has nice all weather gages that are very close to original looking.

Did your mom not tell you that there will be days like today?

Mine warned me.

Eugene

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eugene Slagell For This Useful Post:

Woodzie (08-01-2020)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodzie View Post
    Found a new steering wheel, it's not perfect but it's good enough for me. It mounts in a different way. I had to cut the threaded section off and drill a 1/4" hole for a roll pin. It also needed a 3/4 - 5/8 reducer bushing.

During disassembly I found I little plastic bushing under the drive lever that was all worn out. I printed out a copy, not sure how it will fit yet but when its done I will post a link to the STL file so people can print it out.
    Hmm, did you check the parts manual for what that little piece of plastic is? Located under the drive lever,, it has a bunch of little grooves on it, and it holds your lever in place when you stick it in neutral, or any drive position. If it was me, I'd stop my assembly until getting the correct piece.
    It's also part of your electrical start system,, it's called neutral start switch in the parts manual. Without it, unsafe to use tractor.

Page #53 item 16 and 17.

https://manuals.casecoltingersoll.co...atermarked.pdf
    Last edited by Lionel; 07-26-2020 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks
    Ya I just looked that up, somebody must have removed it and left the isolating gasket in there.

Interesting...

Anybody sell those things?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodzie View Post
    Ya I just looked that up, somebody must have removed it and left the isolating gasket in there.

Interesting...

Anybody sell those things?
    Contact one of our dealers.
    https://manuals.casecoltingersoll.co...rs%20.docx.pdf

Gordy

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordy For This Useful Post:

Woodzie (07-27-2020)