B48m flywheel reinstall problems.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

B48m flywheel reinstall problems.

Hello again. I am trying to reinstall the flywheel on a b48m and it is going in to deep. It hits the starter. I can’t figure it out.
    I installed a new starter . It did the same. Installed a the old starters still hit.
    The flywheel was not cracked.
    The engine appeared to never been touched.

I grabbed the flywheel from my lx770 to see what would happen and same thing.

I am about to go full redneck on this and put a washer (tapered spacer) on the back side so the flywheel is squeezed

Any help is appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,938 Times in 1,022 Posts
    Not sure what you mean, it hits the starter?

To pull the flywheel off, starter is removed, and after putting the flywheel back on, to the tapered crank shaft, the starter is mounted and reset to proper tolerances, When the pinion gear comes out, and meshes to the flywheel.

How is it hitting the starter? Since it's a tapered bore, I wouldn't advise sticking a washer behind the flywheel.

Can you post a couple of decent pictures?
    Last edited by Lionel; 06-28-2020 at 02:01 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lionel For This Useful Post:

bigman (06-28-2020)

Thanks
    My flywheel hit the starter after my rebuild, the flywheel was cracked.

I think by washer he meant a round sleeve to crush in between the shaft and flywheel on the taper.

I would triple check the flywheel is not cracked. My Dad had a friend die from a flywheel that broke apart at an auction of all places. chunk hit him in the chest, dead. worth another check.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodzie For This Useful Post:

Gordy (06-28-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodzie View Post

I think by washer he meant a round sleeve to crush in between the shaft and flywheel on the taper.

I would triple check the flywheel is not cracked. My Dad had a friend die from a flywheel that broke apart at an auction of all places. chunk hit him in the chest, dead. worth another check.
    After taking a water break and walking away from these boat anchors I went over the flywheel. Washed and wire brushed it and found a crack.

I did the same to the lx770 flywheel and see no imperfections at all.

Now personally I would rather use the lx770 flywheel it is a little heavier and has more meat where it would matter.

But the Lx 770 still goes in a little to far. It’s not much less than 1/8 of a inch. Closer to 1/16.

I am done with onan engines. I want to get this one running to get my loader working but next issue i have I will repower the tractor with something different. Anything different.

Thanks

And that is awful what happened to your fathers friend. I have no intention of using the cracked flywheel but would like to try to use the lx770 one. I will double check tonight about if it is safe to use

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 755 Posts

Thanks, good safety reminder. A guy I worked with was blinded not by a flywheel but a bench grinder wheel that came apart on startup. He was standing in front of it rather than to the side of it when he turned it on.

The closet I came to that was a brand new Horror Freight cut off wheel on the angle grinder came apart on startup Thank God for heavy weight Wrangler jeans, as part of the wheel hit the goody package, if you know what I mean

Gordy

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordy For This Useful Post:

bgosh (06-29-2020),dundee222 (06-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 670 Posts
    I agree with Lionel. Please posts some pics so someone can help you out! Don't give up on Onan's, they are great engines.

Keep the Peace
    Harry

Site Supporter
    Thanks
    jrp1
    please post some pics of the flywheels that you are
    trying to use. ( inside and out )

also pics of the engine.

thank you. boomer

Thanks
    Don't you mean the Gordy package...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to petr For This Useful Post:

Gordy (07-01-2020)

Thanks
    When I get home I will get some pictures. Between unpredictable work hours and family time my personal free time is nearly non existent.

I did plan on spending tonight on the tractors. So I will post some pictures around 4pm.
    I do appreciate the help from everyone