Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Vanguard durability?

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  bhildret 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 4016 that has 850 hours on it. The selling owner has had the magnetos replaced and one cyl head due to seized valve from overheating that head. How long are these engines good for before needing overhaul? The tractor is in the classifieds here listed in Grand Ledge, MI

#3 ·
Properly maintained Vanguards ... including things like blowing out the cooling fins in the cylinder heads ... are routinely good for 2000+ hours. They are used extensively on commercial equipment and do very well.

Like all things, there are nuances and they require care.

Most issues are related to poor cooling (not maintaining the air cooling paths, including magnetos and cylinder heads) and insufficient oil changes (we recommend every 33 hours ... 33, 66, x00 hours).

I agree with Bigman the C/L item linked seems a bit to high in price ...

Brian

#4 ·
Open up the air cleaner and look for any oil inside the filter. A small amount can be OK but accumulation may be an indication of leaking gaskets. Run it for a few minutes under load and then check. If it surges or chuffs, that is also a sign of a potential problem.
Just my 2 cents.

With Respect, Willy

#5 ·
Bigman, yes that is the tractor I'm considering. Willy, Ty for the advice re: oil in air filter. Owner admitted the repairs that he had to have made were due to clogged cooling fins. Will plan to inspect it to see if it's what I want. Will try to have him keep the cart & disc. & will sell the ag tires, I only need turf tires. Again, TY

#7 ·
My vote ...

Tractor with mower deck $1250-1500

Snow Blade - $250

Sleeve hitch $200

Ag Tires - $75 (if those turf tires are mounted on wheels then $150)

Sweeper, trailer ... $75 each

Disc ... $200 if it's useful to you

So as advertised it is a bit high I suppose, but not stupid high. Further, packages always draw a discount to the individuals items ... say 25% off each if taken as a package.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.