Looking for a picture. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 948 Posts
    I've done a bit more reading on this and there seems to be a sort of consensus about them getting stuck because of crud.

If that is so, will you still not hear the click, or is the click from the plunger actually moving. In other words, with no click, does that guarantee an electrical issue, either wire, or internal of the solenoid?

He says it looks clean but I don't know if he has soaked it. From the pics, it doesn't really look like there is room to try to jiggle it, without risking the needle and seat it rests against. I have a small set of hemostats but even then ...

Also, Bob isn't the first to bring up pricing and choosing to abandon it as a strategy. I haven't sourced a proper replacement yet but Amazon is full of Briggs fuel solenoids, for prices that I wouldn't call prohibitive.

He lives in a place with almost no internet service, so I'm going to invite him here, so he can more easily look at manuals, any Youtubes etc.

Recap ... Mid to late 90s 3016, no solenoid click, will start with a splash of fuel. This tractor did sit for several months and he is a late convert to Seafoam but I know it has been used since the sitting time too so ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Dave - Here are two links re: Vanguard Carbs

https://casecoltingersoll.com/showth...nd-information

https://casecoltingersoll.com/showth...anguard-engine

Bob MacGregor does a nice job explaining the parts and cleaning procedure!!

With Respect, Willy
    Last edited by Maine Willy; 08-04-2020 at 05:12 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Willy For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (08-04-2020)

Thanks
    Not solenoid related but stumbled across this,

Thanks
    Thanked 2,280 Times in 1,122 Posts
    This guy in the video thinks that it is fixed, but I have news for him, the carb needs to be cleaned! With grass clippings all over the engine and coming out of the blower housing where the fuel solenoid is located, his engine needs a good cleaning particularly around the cooling fins and flywheel area. The rest of the tractor probably needs a good cleaning too especially the hydraulic oil cooler area. I find most engines have dirt accumulation under the flywheels which needs to be removed, some are bad enough to require the removal of the stator to clean the crud out. No solvents around the stator as the varnish insulation on the stator wires can get dissolved and short out.
    An important point, all 3000 and 4000 tractors require a belly pan to complete the the cooing system.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,280 Times in 1,122 Posts
    The fuel solenoid can get fine particles around the plunger which can hang it up. Most times it can be cleaned but it needs to be removed from the carb to do this which can be done.
    The terminals on the wire are the same type as the output from the voltage regulator and most times will rotate as the solenoid is removed from the carb while still on the engine. Depending on how and where the electrical harness is secured under the blower housing, the electrical connector may or may not be accessible enough to disconnect.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob MacGregor For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (08-04-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob MacGregor View Post
    The fuel solenoid can get fine particles around the plunger which can hang it up. Most times it can be cleaned but it needs to be removed from the carb to do this which can be done.
    The terminals on the wire are the same type as the output from the voltage regulator and most times will rotate as the solenoid is removed from the carb while still on the engine. Depending on how and where the electrical harness is secured under the blower housing, the electrical connector may or may not be accessible enough to disconnect.
    Thanks Bob. I haven't seen it yet but as he describes it, it isn't readily accessible. He is proposing snaking a wire around to try to grab it and bring it up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    On my 92 3012, I was able to remove the solenoid from the carb with the engine in place. There is a 2 or 3 inch pigtail on the solenoid, disconnect it and test for power with a meter or test light. And test the solenoid by running a jumper from battery + and touch it to the pigtail, see if it clicks.

Gordy
    He fished the wire out and there is power at the plug coming from the tractor.

He is proposing plugging it back in, turning the key to on and using a test light from the neg. batt to the solenoid case.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

Gordy (08-06-2020)

Thanks
    So, I plugged in his engine #s on the Briggs website and got the part number.

692094. There is also a sealing washer, listed separately #693497.

I looked on our three dealer websites that I know of and drew blanks.

Briggs website doesn't say its in stock. Amazon has it. $106.71

Thanks
    Dave,

I do not stock the 692094, current list price from Briggs is $119.25, they have it in stock. Our discount on many of the Vanguard parts is extremely small, if the Amazon solenoid is Genuine Briggs and not a Chinese copy that's a real good deal as our cost as a Master Service Dealer is $107.33.

Bob

14. The Following User Says Thank You to myerslawnandgarden For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (08-06-2020)

Thanks
    "if the Amazon solenoid is Genuine Briggs and not a Chinese copy ..."

It says its OEM.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratt...sr=1-1-catcorr

Bob, does that number ring a bell for a late 90s VG?