Looking for a picture.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 952 Posts

Looking for a picture.

A friend with a 301x Vanguard called. Won't start, thinks its fuel.

Told him to check the output of the fuel pump but I also want him to check the solenoid.

I've looked to no avail. I know there is a pic of the inside of the carb showing the solenoid lever and how to hold it back for cleaning.

If anyone has that handy, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Thanks
    I have a circa 2009 18 HP Briggs Vanguard and these engines really hate being run on ethanol gas, especially in the winter when the water in the gas will freeze in the carb. Ethanol also will over time corrode the fuel bowl and solenoid. I had that happen on an engine with less that 8 hours use (had to replace the carb!!!) and have since only used non-ethanol gas with no further problems...

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ras101 View Post
    I have a circa 2009 18 HP Briggs Vanguard and these engines really hate being run on ethanol gas, especially in the winter when the water in the gas will freeze in the carb. Ethanol also will over time corrode the fuel bowl and solenoid. I had that happen on an engine with less that 8 hours use (had to replace the carb!!!) and have since only used non-ethanol gas with no further problems...

Thats fine if you can get it and not have to pay too much for it.

Last I checked, it was only at a local airfield, @3x pricing and weren't sure they could even sell it to me. So, 1oz Seafoam per gal of fuel, every time.

Thanks
    Ok I still haven't been there to look at it but he dropped by the other day and we confirmed something.

A failure in the fuel solenoid.

Turning the key on mine, you can hear a distinctive click, that he says is not on his and he said it will start with a splash of gas in the carb so, not getting fuel.

Its a mid to late 90s 3016, Vanguard.

Is it more likely a wire problem, or the solenoid itself and how hard is it to change it? Will the engine need to be pulled? If so, is there enough room to just move it forward a bit, or will he need to disconnect the hydro pump?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,231 Times in 785 Posts
    On my 92 3012, I was able to remove the solenoid from the carb with the engine in place. There is a 2 or 3 inch pigtail on the solenoid, disconnect it and test for power with a meter or test light. And test the solenoid by running a jumper from battery + and touch it to the pigtail, see if it clicks.

Gordy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordy For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (08-02-2020)

Thanks
    Thanks Gordy, hope thats true for a 16hp too.

He was talking about having to pull a valve cover to see the wire and it just didn't make sense to me. But then, mine is still in tact and he has his breather assembly off and can see a lot more than I can.

Thanks
    Dave, the solenoid is the same on the 18HP and 16HP. You don't need to remove the solenoid though to check. Just remove the fuel bowl and float and you can see the solenoid plunger in the bottom of the bowl then follow Gordy's directions for activating. I have found it usually is not an electrical problem with the solenoid but that the plunger gets corroded and just needs to be freed up. Adding carb cleaner to the bowl so it covers the solenoid plunger after freeing and leaving to soak worked best for me. Oh, on the use of seafoam that works great on the engine but is useless for countering ethanol if you can't get ethanol free then use the ethanol additives you can buy from the autopart store and use very fresh gas each and every time..

Thanks
    Last edited by Woodzie; 08-02-2020 at 12:31 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodzie For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (08-02-2020),Gordy (08-02-2020)

Thanks
    Dave,

If the solenoid has indeed failed you'll find that it's a bit on the pricey side. Several times when the customer balks at the repair price I've snipped the plunger rod off with a side cutter thus defeating the anti-dieseling feature advising the customer to let the engine cool down after use before killing the engine. (as is a good practice always)

Bob

15. The Following User Says Thank You to myerslawnandgarden For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (08-03-2020)