Brian, Spring Lake, Travel control problem
    Thanks

Brian, Spring Lake, Travel control problem

I've introduced myself previously, but I don't see any way to post to the main forum.

I've been doing some modding to my Ingersoll 4020. Three point hitch, and now a pedal control, which would work fine, except my travel control valve has a HARD stop at the reverse position. I've searched the forums extensively, and don't see anyone else mentioning such a problem. I noticed it with the lever control, and it's harder to overcome with the foot pedal. It's the valve itself. I've disconnected the linkage, working only the valve cylinder on the front of the controller. When it gets to the reverse position it stops, and has to be pried with a bar to come out further, into reverse. Once in reverse I can control the speed, but it can't be used this way, because it jumps to a high speed when overcoming the stuck point. Anyone know what I need to do to fix it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 822 Posts
    At back spool there cap inside there spring and ball bearing 1/4" they only grease at assemble yours could be 30 years since greased. I surject take valve off tractor to do repair drain fluid first at test/drain plug. loosing lines 1" wrench to drive motor. On back spool cap on top back cover you remove small plug and take out small spring ball bearing, then remove cap and check spool movement again if free inspect balls closely. If spool still sticking pull spool out valve check condition spool. Spool can be bend are damaged.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gator_rider2 For This Useful Post:

Capt. Dan (08-01-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gator_rider2 View Post
    At back spool there cap inside there spring and ball bearing 1/4" they only grease at assemble yours could be 30 years since greased. I surject take valve off tractor to do repair drain fluid first at test/drain plug. loosing lines 1" wrench to drive motor. On back spool cap on top back cover you remove small plug and take out small spring ball bearing, then remove cap and check spool movement again if free inspect balls closely. If spool still sticking pull spool out valve check condition spool. Spool can be bend are damaged.
    Thank you so much! I'll try that.

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I took the thing apart and cleaned and lubed the bearings (both sides). Took the cylinders out and back in. I still have the same thing. Do I have to get another travel controller? It didn't look or feel like anything was bent, and I don't understand what is sticking. I'm putting it back in to use, but only temporarily. Those springs seem super stiff. Might they be hardened more than they should, somehow?

When removing and replacing the spools, I had to turn them this way and that to get them in and out. Is that normal?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 822 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by urbantech View Post
    I took the thing apart and cleaned and lubed the bearings (both sides). Took the cylinders out and back in. I still have the same thing. Do I have to get another travel controller? It didn't look or feel like anything was bent, and I don't understand what is sticking. I'm putting it back in to use, but only temporarily. Those springs seem super stiff. Might they be hardened more than they should, somehow?

When removing and replacing the spools, I had to turn them this way and that to get them in and out. Is that normal?
    Parking brake pedal needs be all way up take hand after releasing pull hard on pedal up to see if any sticking pedal travel, this be easy quick check if good I would change TCV to used one off parted out tractor, this cost less hydraulic shop charge. I thing springs be okay on detents. Once valve in operation oil keep in spool center in bore valve, I have turn spool 180 degrees and stop sticking there only tensions are balls spring to keep spool from turning that seem all needed position spool in one place.

Thanks
    There is no more parking brake. I removed that assembly, including the whole hand control, so now the swing arm is moving vertically instead of horizontally. I'm going to build a new way to do the brake lock and return to neutral (which my springs on the pedal should also do).

I didn't realize the balls were to keep the valve from turning. I didn't notice flat sides. I haven't run the tractor since reassembly. I'll try turning the spool and see what I get. Since I had a hard time getting the control arm loose, maybe I turned it out of it's alignment and that's the problem. I've already ordered another used controller with holding valve to come Saturday, so either way I'll be alright. I can use one of them for my tiller control.

Thanks for the advice.