Using Hydravac mount to hold suitcase weights
    Thanks

Using Hydravac mount to hold suitcase weights

Has anyone tried adding some suitcase weights to the hydravac mount? Weights would be mounted on 1/2" pins. Intended use case is added weight for snow blowing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,575 Times in 2,280 Posts
    Matt
    How about filling your rear tires and adding wheel weights that should help a lot.
    Can you take a few photos of what you liked to try ?

bigman

Thanks
    I have not tried it, but seems to me it would work. The weight of the bagger / blower hanging out as far as it does must put a pretty good leverage on the bracket; so it seems pretty strong. Not sure if I would put 200 lbs on it but two 40 lb weights should be OK IMHO.
    Are you thinking of putting a 1/2 inch rod through the mounting holes and hanging the weights from that
    Willy

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman View Post
    Matt
    How about filling your rear tires and adding wheel weights that should help a lot.
    Can you take a few photos of what you liked to try ?

bigman
    Bigman I've got plastic wheel weights and 2 link chains for winter service. I've also got a non-ingersoll weight box which I've modified for the tractor but I can no longer fit it with the rear PTO I added. With the wheel weights and weight box filled with a few concrete blocks I've got great traction while pushing my SB48 snowcaster.

I think part of my issue in past years was due to the travel control inline linkage being worn out even though my tractor had really low hours. A new linkage solved the problem with the tractor jumping forward when I opened the travel valve. Unfortunately last year we only got like 2 inches of snow here and I really didn't get to test out the tractor since I fixed the linkage.

I'm thinking of putting some 1/2" diameter pins though the hydravac mounting holes and securing the pins in place. The suitcase weights would simply hang on the pins.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine Willy View Post
    I have not tried it, but seems to me it would work. The weight of the bagger / blower hanging out as far as it does must put a pretty good leverage on the bracket; so it seems pretty strong. Not sure if I would put 200 lbs on it but two 40 lb weights should be OK IMHO.
    Are you thinking of putting a 1/2 inch rod through the mounting holes and hanging the weights from that
    Willy
    Yes I am thinking of a 1/2" rod through the mounting holes with three 42lb suitcase weights attached. I don't think the larger 70lb suitcase weights will fit. I also don't think I need the 70lb weights.

Thanks
    I've got a drawing of the 42lb suitcase weights I found on the internet but I'm not sure how to upload a pdf. If anyone knows, let me know and I will upload the drawing.

Thanks
    I mocked up the prototype tonight. The weights fit well. I plan to use some 1/2" ID x 2" OD washers to space out the weights a bit. I will probably paint the weights orange.
    Weights 1.jpgWeights 2.jpgWeights 3.jpg

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt A For This Useful Post:

74_case_onan (09-23-2020),CobyDog$10 (09-23-2020),Maine Willy (09-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 845 Posts
    I will probably paint the weights orange.
    I left mine green When JD guy's give me S..T, I tell them "That is one thing JD does well, making dead weight"

Gordy

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordy For This Useful Post:

74_case_onan (09-23-2020),Maine Willy (09-23-2020)

Thanks
    I've been hanging a few suitcase weights from the hydravac bracket for about 10 years of winters. I use a 1/2" rod just like you did. I have not seen any problems from doing this.
    Having the weight nearer the axle helps the rear traction without unloading the front axle like when I would hang weight from the 3-pt hitch.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,187 Posts
    Having a Hydrabagger/Hydravac mount on our tractors has many advantages. I have a modified vehicle frame hitch with a 2" receiver installed in mine so I can swap out ball mounts as needed. In winter I install a heavy cast iron ball mount and bolt onto it the round heavy weight that I use on the front of the tractor in summer. This adds enough weight to the rear improving snow plowing performance.
    The mount also provides a good place to jack up the rear of the tractor when needed. I have an extra pair of rear wheels that I leave two link chains mounted on which makes the swap over to chains easier for me to do. There are times in the summer that I need tire chains on to do the job.