Painting advice - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Painting advice

Thanks
    Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,013 Posts
    A decent heat gun will loosen the decals. I wasn't able to take them off in a way to be able to reuse them but I'm told with the right touch, it can be done.

For a big tank, maybe try a farm store for stock watering, or maybe CL.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/d...188023186.html

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/d...167978605.html
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 09-16-2020 at 12:44 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

Dan444†(09-16-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I started a bit today. Touching up a few places. Didnít turn out as good as my previous touch ups. But looks lots better than it did. Shown is Chevy orange red by duplicolor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan444 For This Useful Post:

dundee222†(09-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,527 Posts
    You can't judge the color match properly for a couple of days at least. A lot of paints, especially non hardened ones take on a slightly different hue when totally cured.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,302 Times in 831 Posts
    Another idea for a larger tank, saw it on youtube. The guy used square bales, but many other thing you may have lying around would work for the walls. Then line it with some heavy ten mill plastic. Just be careful how you set the parts in it.

Gordy

Thanks
    Picked up some rebar today but not sure about it. It’s short and will not reach the bottom of the plastic tub I’ll use. I was going to tie it tight to the side so it won’t slide down. Anyone see issues with this?

Also is it ok to hang the pieces with the same type of copper wire? Not the same piece, a new piece from the same roll. I have a useless roll of thick copper wire and was going to use it for everything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan444 View Post
    Picked up some rebar today but not sure about it. It’s short and will not reach the bottom of the plastic tub I’ll use. I was going to tie it tight to the side so it won’t slide down. Anyone see issues with this?

Also is it ok to hang the pieces with the same type of copper wire? Not the same piece, a new piece from the same roll. I have a useless roll of thick copper wire and was going to use it for everything.
    I had to learn it the hard way but don't let any parts or especially their hanging wires, directly touch the plastic. A 5 gal bucket wound up with several inches of slit from a hanging wire getting hot.

In a bigger system with multiple anodes, it may not be an issue but it sure was on that one.

On my barrel tank, nothing touches the plastic, including the rebar anodes. Copper for the electrical connections, steel bailing wire to hang the work piece from a piece of wood spanning the tank.

On the kiddie pool version, I hung some old mower blades from steel wire for anodes and the wire degraded quickly. But that is directional. The same wire hanging the work piece was unaffected.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

Dan444†(09-17-2020)

Thanks
    I have some wire laying around Iím thinking to use for hanging parts. I donít have bailing wire. Itís either galvanized or rebar tie wire I bought 15 or so years ago at tractor supply. Donít recall. Think this will work, safely?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    I have some wire laying around I’m thinking to use for hanging parts. I don’t have bailing wire. It’s either galvanized or rebar tie wire I bought 15 or so years ago at tractor supply. Don’t recall. Think this will work, safely?
    Pretty sure your supposed to use bare steel to avoid contamination, bad fumes etc. but its been a while since I was studying that and other than the washing soda, already had everything I needed.

Thanks
    I’ll keep scrounging. I can get some bailing wire seems like, or coat hanger. Hate to waste that though. Never see metal ones anymore.

Thanks
    I’ll keep scrounging. I can get some bailing wire seems like, or coat hanger. Hate to waste that though. Never see metal ones anymore.
    400' of 16.5ga rebar tie wire is 8 bucks. Thats enough to last yrs worth of projects.