Anyone using 'High Mileage' oil in hydraulic system - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Using engine oil as hydraulic oil changes some of the characteristics.Ford did this on the 1974 -2003 diesels, this is why most of you use Shell Rotula15-40. The anti-cavitation additive is more important than the viscosity. Theengines that I am referring to are Navistar (Internarial Harvester) usingengine oil to run the HUI injectors at 3,000 + psi. Oil cavitation at thispressure becomes a great problem. This additive is available at truck stops andshould be used for pressures over 500 psi. Most 15-40 diesel oils have this additivein them (that what is recommended for a HUI injector). The oil with the highestanti- cavitation additive content is Motorcraft 15-40. This additive is extremelyimportant in high pressure operation. 7

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan 396 View Post
    Using engine oil as hydraulic oil changes some of the characteristics.Ford did this on the 1974 -2003 diesels, this is why most of you use Shell Rotula15-40. The anti-cavitation additive is more important than the viscosity. Theengines that I am referring to are Navistar (Internarial Harvester) usingengine oil to run the HUI injectors at 3,000 + psi. Oil cavitation at thispressure becomes a great problem. This additive is available at truck stops andshould be used for pressures over 500 psi. Most 15-40 diesel oils have this additivein them (that what is recommended for a HUI injector). The oil with the highestanti- cavitation additive content is Motorcraft 15-40. This additive is extremelyimportant in high pressure operation. 7
    I'll have to keep that in mind. I never came across any info about anti-cavitation before. I have the Mobil1 15w-50 in it now. I'll have to keep that in mind if I need to change the oil again any time soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,302 Times in 831 Posts
    Here's a link for the spec's of Mobil 1 15w-50. Reading the FAQ's it sounds like their racing oil might be a good choice also, with double the zinc and phosphorus for anti wear protection

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...obil-1-15w-50/

Gordy