446 and loader capabilities - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Looks like it was converted to propane. It is probably a good base to start from if you like a challenge.

These tractors are not cheap to bring back to life. Most parts are readily available both used and new. Just a few items to check when looking at the tractor are,
    rusted lift cylinder rods, steering linkage, steering gear, pinion and shafts. Loader arm bushings-have they been welded on? Those 4 items will take money to repair. Most other parts are interchangeable from 4XX tractors.

Welcome to the CCI program.

Eugene

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Slagell View Post
    Looks like it was converted to propane. It is probably a good base to start from if you like a challenge.

Eugene
    If you are talking about the tank on the fender. It looks like a hydraulic oil tank to me, 2 hoses coming from it running between the tire and frame, then coming out under the footrest, one goes straight to the pump in the grill area. Need to expand the picture to see it better.

Gordy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,200 Posts
    With whatever the repower engine is, the stock hydraulic reservoir probably had to be removed to make room for the longer engine which could liquid cooled.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies, some great info. I’ve finally been able to get in touch with him about going to see the 644. Unfortunately I won’t be able to get there until Friday. I’m not sure but I think I might hold out and save a couple more pennies and find maybe an older 4x4 kubota. My problem hasn’t been the lifting capacity but projects I’ve been trying to do would be so much easier with 4 wheel drive. Keep getting stuck trying to push loam on a down hill slope when I try to back up. Buying, fixing and flipping these small machines has been a pretty good way to earn a bit of cash for the toy bank and I’ve learned a bunch. That guy said he’s firm at 1k for the 644 but we shall see. Cash in hand is pretty powerful, what do you think, 600 cash? Hopefully it won’t take much to get it up and moving again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Slagell View Post

These tractors are not cheap to bring back to life. Most parts are readily available both used and new. Just a few items to check when looking at the tractor are,
    rusted lift cylinder rods, steering linkage, steering gear, pinion and shafts. Loader arm bushings-have they been welded on? Those 4 items will take money to repair. Most other parts are interchangeable from 4XX tractors.

Welcome to the CCI program.

Eugene
    what do you mean by loader arm bushings. I thought it was just a hole with a 5/8” pin? Not really sure what to look for. Would these have grease fitting? My quik way doesn’t.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 610 Posts
    If I recall correctly all of the pins and pivots in the loaders are 3/4". And there are not replaceable bushing, they're all welded in place and of course may have broken welds.

Our semi official list of what things to look at when evaluating a CCI loader is posted here: https://casecoltingersoll.com/showth...l=1#post679009

Still pretty accurate..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sdunt For This Useful Post:

mblust†(09-23-2020)

Thanks
    This is an example of an abused loader that had the upper pin seize and rip out of the arms.
    Welded loader arm pins.jpg
    Part of the tower rod can be seen still seized in the left arm. It looks like a hacksaw was used to cut the loader off of the tower for another attempt at restoration.

Pitted cylinder.jpg

This is an example of a loader ram that is corroded to a point beyond repair.

Eugene

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eugene Slagell For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2†(09-23-2020),InTroubleAlltheTime†(09-24-2020),jfk†(09-23-2020)