Neutral safety switch/sensor to starter
    Thanks

Neutral safety switch/sensor to starter

Can anyone tell me where the neutral safety switch/sensor that goes to the solenoid on the starter is located on my 646? I finally power washed my tractor (carefully)but think that I may still have knocked a wire loose. It started fine before I washed it but now I am not getting juice to the solenoid when I turn the key. Started turns just fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,081 Posts
    Typically. there are 2 neutral start switches,

Both located under the tractor, one that is activated if you move the motion pedal,, (along the bracket where the banana plat slides into),, that's for motion.
    Typically connected in series, the 2nd one is located on the opposite side of the frame, behind where the lever is located, that engages the clutch. (wire goes from frame, to first switch, to 2nd switch and if either are activated, it breaks the ground.)

So, that's where they are located, and of course, if you have a problem there, when you turn key on to start position, nothing happens, because that's where the solenoid gets it's ground to energize that solenoid, which in turn, turns the starter over.

Not knowing what year of 646, or what it has for a motor, makes it difficult for the guys here to help diagnose what your problem would be. With a normal setup in a 646, I would suspect you have a different problem.

The easiest way to figure that out, is with a test light. Turn key on, and do you have power on the positive post of the coil? If no power, you would then have to look at that wire coming from the coil, which should go to the ignition switch and test it there. With key on, do you have power there? If not, then test the batt post of the ignition switch, with key on, do you have power there? (sounds like you should, because starter turns over)

It could be as simple as a blown fuse depending on what's been done to it over the years. But, if starter turns over, the next step is to always check to see if you have power to the coil,, No power at coil, it'll never start, turns over but it'll never fire.

Thanks
    It is a 1976 Case 646

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Thanks
    Here's the parts manual for your 646. Page 90, just follow wire #22 from the solenoid,, and it should lead you to both safety switches,, from there, follow wire #33, which seems to go back to the batt terminal of the ignition switch. From the batt post of the ignition switch, following the wire to your amp gauge,, it would seem there should be a 30 amp fuse inline from the amp gauge,, how's that fuse?

https://manuals.casecoltingersoll.co...atermarked.pdf
    Last edited by Lionel; 09-27-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    This manual, also has your wiring schematics, with the wires in color code,

It should be page 7,, but cross reference with your serial number,

https://manuals.casecoltingersoll.co...atermarked.pdf