444 Rehab

Thread: 444 Rehab

Thanks

444 Rehab

This is the Case 444 that I just finished reassembling. I was a mechanic at a Case dealership a long time ago and one of my jobs was small tractor guy, so I always wanted one of my own. These things are not as common on the west coast so when I saw one for sale in Oregon, I snapped it up. I bought it for work and for a hobby.
    It had the wrong exhaust, a backward rotation hydraulic pump that had a radiator hose for suction, a non-running engine, metal on metal brake, etc., etc. It was disassembled, cleaned, and, partially repainted. I moved to Germany for seven years in the middle of the process, and came home to a pile of parts and little memory of where they went. Millions of dollars in parts were added (or so it seems), painting was completed, and I managed to get everything back together and running.
    The great part is, I had one leak initially, and all it required was tightening a hydraulic fitting. Now I have a big leak from the gas tank and a missing spring for the neutral return. I consider that minor and it will be the subject of another post.
    Did I mention that the differential bolts broke and cracked the transmission case? Yeah, that was also a good time, but the repair is working.
    Since I live on a quarter acre lot, and ¾ of that is covered by stuff, you could say it has been a labor of love and nostalgia. It is probably the best hobby I have, the neighborhood kids love it, and I can use it to haul things around the yard. My neighbors think I am crazy, but I think they are all jealous!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to seancrv For This Useful Post:

CobyDog$10 (10-08-2020),dave1mn2 (10-14-2020),dundee222 (10-08-2020),Gordy (10-08-2020),RFngersoll (10-08-2020),Seabee (10-09-2020),tractorskip (10-17-2020),tss8690 (10-08-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Nice looking 444!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CobyDog$10 For This Useful Post:

seancrv (10-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 849 Posts
    Yep, you done good

Gordy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordy For This Useful Post:

seancrv (10-10-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Nice job of bringing that 444 forward into the modern world!

Bill Moyer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabee For This Useful Post:

seancrv (10-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 2,283 Posts

BEFORE

bigman

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bigman For This Useful Post:

seancrv (10-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanks for blowing them up for me! The before picture makes it look much better than it actually was. I'll pull out some disassembly pictures and post them at a later date.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to seancrv For This Useful Post:

bigman (10-09-2020)

Thanks
    Wow makes mine look old.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gwiz For This Useful Post:

seancrv (10-18-2020)

Thanks
    Sean, I am getting read to mount a similar muffler 444. Could you take some pics of how you fitted yours to the pipe/manifold? Your Rehab looks awesome!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ozarks Case 444 For This Useful Post:

seancrv (10-18-2020)

Thanks

Muffler Mount

It is mounted directly to three pipefittings screwed into the block; a close nipple, a 45 and another short nipple. The muffler is for a 12 HP Kohler on a Cub Cadet, but I got it free. I had to cut a bracket off, but that was to make it look better.
    The biggest problem was the hood. Unless you cut a semi-circle like the one for the intake, you will have to use a cluster of fittings to make it work. I clamped a 2 x 4 under the hood edge with enough sticking down to fit the full circle. I then used a 2 ½” hole saw to cut the opening. The center is a bit below the hood edge and the center pilot hole was drilling into the wood. I smoothed it up and since I was painting the hood, it looks factory.
    So far no problems. I thought that the weight would be an issue but it is stable, even when hot. I might put an extension on it to take it above my head, but it doesn’t work much so that isn’t really an issue.
    The factory exhaust leaves a lot to be desired. Both of the tapped holes in the block were ruined and the exhaust had leaked badly enough that it ate away the gasket surface. I am not a machinist so after trying to repair things, I gave up and used what I have now.
    Hood.jpgExhaust 2.jpgExhaust 1.jpg