Trying to understand pricing for High wheel Case/Ingersoll tractors - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,028 Posts
    My 2 bits, drawing from all of your posts ...

You mentioned your lot needing cleaning up, with the goal to be a self sufficient homestead. Kind of a tall order on 1 acre.

I agree with your preference for the big wheels. Low pros are great mowing machines but having had both, I can say that there is significant traction difference between the 2 footprints, with advantage to the 400 / 4000 series tractors.

Yes, Linamars and P series Onans, are essentially the same.

I have an RM60 and an RM48 deck. The RM60 is a great deck but very expensive to rebuild and it is quite lrg. for my wooded lot. Depending on how densely wooded you leave your lot, an RM48 might be better and in either case, your price estimate is way low for an RM60 in anything but raggedy condition.

Speaking of prices, Indiana is close enough to gain the "Midwest" price advantage and have plenty to choose from, at least within contiguous states.

Back to your lot ... Sounds to me, like a front blade would be handy in your clearing project. For sure, any 4018 and up, will handle a 54" blade. Most older 54" blades will fit, so long as they use the "Snap Fast" mounting system, so you aren't confined to the UB54.

I have a 4020PS. It is a dream to drive. However, there is significantly more risk of leaks, expense and on that part of the system, it is a real bear to work on. I've seen it mentioned that ~$500 is the expected extra to pay for a PS unit. I won't quibble with that. In fact, for the right number, I could be persuaded to sell my 4020PS, a 54" blade and low hr. documented total rebuild, on an RM60. We could even talk about delivery.

"Homestead" sounds like there will be gardening involved. Some get along fine with sleeve hitches, though I use my 3pt (on a 4018) quite often. They are harder to come by and more expensive but IMO, well worth it. A carry all, for a 3pt. would come in very handy on your clearing project and depending on what other tillage tools you can acquire, you may decide you don't need a PTO and tiller (I don't).

I find it ideal to have 2, 40xxs. One set up as a utility tractor and the other as a mower. If one goes down, you have full interchangeability, on most things, in minutes.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 10-10-2020 at 01:39 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

dundee222 (10-10-2020),freed0rn (10-11-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,550 Posts
    I'll add to the excellent above post, that if you are moving earth, the smaller 44" front blade is a good choice as it is easier to get and hold a grade since the ends are closer to the tractor= less flex.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dundee222 For This Useful Post:

freed0rn (10-11-2020)

Thanks
    I second checking Facebook marketplace for tractors. That is how I found my 446, 646. For what it’s worth I paid $1200 for my 446 with a rear PTO, sleeve hitch, tiller, blade, mower, extra blades for mower, and a weight box. And I paid $2000 for my 646 (I tried to haggle but I really wanted it so I paid asking).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WrightBuckeye For This Useful Post:

freed0rn (10-11-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    If interested, I have a 1991 20Hp Ingersol 4020 (no PS) tractor with tire chains. Includes 48” snow thrower, 60” mower deck with extra new blades, 44” snow/dirt push blade. Manuals included. 100miles east of Ohio Indiana line. $2500 takes it. PM me @ [email protected] or call 419.680.4707

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tfish For This Useful Post:

freed0rn (10-11-2020)

Thanks
    @dave1mn2 - I agree its a tall order on one acre- and while not able to hit 100% if we can get over 50% I would call it success. We are also planning talks with neighbors about extending our acreage or alternatively buying nearby acreage that comes up for sale, but that will come in time.

I'm glad my instinct to go for the large wheel also has some factual reason, beyond just them looking nice. What would you value a 60" deck in fair working condition? My property only has a handful of large older trees scattered around so any size deck shouldn't be an issue currently. I had a feel the PS units might be more than I can initially handle, especially with long periods of not being on site and having family use the tractor and perform maintenance.

I believe your right and I will definitely need a 3pt at some point. Either bought initially on the tractor, added on later, or purchased on a secondary unit. Thanks for the great info!

@dundee222 - A blade has been low on my list as I was preferring a snowblower, but I think you have made a persuasive argument. I think beyond the deck this may be on of the first attachments purchased, plus there is one locally available which makes it nicer. Thanks!

@WrightBuckeye - That sounds like a good deal on both machines! Can you give an idea of overall condition and possibly hours on each for that given price range? Either way I hope to make out like that haha.

@tfish - I appreciate the offer and will definitely keep that in mind. Preferably looking for something closer due to time on site, but depending on what's available in a couple weeks I may be pushing out a bit further and possibly dropping you a line. I was trying to keep this thread as more of a understanding pricing to be better suited for price negations as a new tractor buyer, and will post a WTB thread separately. Thanks for reaching out!

Thanks
    "I'm glad my instinct to go for the large wheel also has some factual reason, beyond just them looking nice."

It was only because I got the impression that you really needed a utility tractor, even more than a mower that I mentioned it. For a mower, I'd have another 30xx just as fast as I could get it here, if I had room for it. If the right deal fell in my lap, I might even have to make room.

"What would you value a 60" deck in fair working condition?"

I don't know about the left hand throws, only the RM60s but I've seen empty shells go for 200 and Brian (one of the dealers here) has said that a fully rebuilt one (as mine is) should bring 800. They are a special deck. Super tough, freakishly quiet, beautiful cut but very expensive on a total rebuild. If you get one, make sure it has the metal cogs inside. With just an acre, much of it to eventually be in gardens, chicken yard etc. were it me, a 60" wouldn't be a high priority, or maybe even a preference. They're awesome decks but big.

Last edited by dave1mn2; 10-11-2020 at 08:11 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

freed0rn (10-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 849 Posts
    Dave,

When you mentioned cogs. That reminded me of reading they have cogged timing belts, right?

I had one on an Ariens zero turn, if that cogged belt jumped a few cogs, deck repair got real expensive. As the blades would have a face to face meeting at hi speed The repair required new blades, spindle housings, belt, and often new spindles.

Gordy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordy For This Useful Post:

freed0rn (10-11-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    Dave,

When you mentioned cogs. That reminded me of reading they have cogged timing belts, right?

I had one on an Ariens zero turn, if that cogged belt jumped a few cogs, deck repair got real expensive. As the blades would have a face to face meeting at hi speed The repair required new blades, spindle housings, belt, and often new spindles.

Gordy
    Yes, they have cogged belts and the blades are timed (which sounds a lot more complex than it is). I haven't had an issue with them getting out of time but I probably don't have 15hrs. on my rebuild. When I got mine, after reading lots of threads about them, the main caution is to not hit stumps, rocks etc. That goes without saying on any deck but yeah, if the blades hit each other, bad things could happen.

EDIT

BTW, don't get the wrong impression. These things are BEASTS. If just a few things were different, it would be my preferred deck.

1) I sometimes have to mow off site and don't have a trailer, so the RM48 fitting in my truck is a major advantage.

2) I have the mulching kit for my RM48 and just love the performance. So much less dust, its hard to describe without knowing a side by side comparison. The RM60s don't have this option.

3) There are several places where the trees are too close to fit it between them. If they weren't mature trees, I'd whack em but they are, so ...
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 10-11-2020 at 02:44 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

freed0rn (10-11-2020)

Thanks

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timj For This Useful Post:

freed0rn (10-11-2020),tss8690 (10-11-2020)

Thanks
    @dave1mn2 - Totally agree for my wants it makes more sense, my comment was just more in jest. I do actually have a 30xx model in my list of potential buys if others fall through so I am not counting them out. Good information to know about the 60" decks, which sound like they would work perfect for my location until I begin converting most of the land. But I am no size queen and smaller mowing setups would also work.

@Gordy - That happening sounds like it would be a real bad time haha

@Timj - Half my family is named Tim haha. Good eye, that is exactly the one I have been looking at. I have reached out to the seller, so we will see how that goes.