Tiller and plow for Odyssey
    Thanks

Tiller and plow for Odyssey

Ok. I've looked at the what it fits chart and I can't find a J70 tiller. There is 1 for sale a few hours from me. And to help my wife with her now, rather large garden, I would like to add a tiller to my Odyssey. And also eventually a plow. What is the community's suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Hardhead18,

The J70 will work fine with your Odyssey, it has a 9" section that can be removed to make it more compatible with your 14 available horsepower if you are working hard ground. You will also need to find a hydraulic pto kit and a sleeve hitch unless they are included in the deal.

Bob

4. The Following User Says Thank You to myerslawnandgarden For This Useful Post:

Hardhead18 (10-17-2020)

Thanks
    Bob,
    I type in the numbers from the what fits chart and Google (cause we all love google mechanics, lol) and it gives me the electric clutches. Is that correct? If so I am already equipped. The seller stated, I would need a rear PTO. Thanks in advance.

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,196 Posts
    Hi Hardhead18,
    I know that you are excited to own an Ingersoll Odyssey and eggar to expand its capabilities, but you need to know what is involved with adding attachments to you tractor.
    First off, the V belt driven attachments that are operated by the electric clutch on the front of the engine are RM38 or RM44 mower decks. There are RM48 mower decks, but they require more horsepower to operate than the 14 Vanguard engine can provide and still drive the tractor. Ingersoll snow blower SB38 is also a V belt driven front mount attachment.
    A UB44 plow is also a front mount attachment and is lifted by the hydraulic implement lift that lifts the mower deck or the snow blower with linkages, mount plates and or bars.
    As for Ingersoll rear mounted attachments, particularly a rototiller, as it is a hydraulically driven attachment, there are other items needed to mount and operate it along with other additional items to make it all work correctly. I will be back in a while to post more info about installing a Case/Ingersoll tiller.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,196 Posts
    Hi Hardhead18 I'm back!
    To mount a Case/Ingersoll rototiller to an Ingersoll Odyssey, which is basically an Ingersoll 3014, a sleeve hitch or a 3 point hitch needs to be installed on the tractor onto which the rototiller is mounted. A sleeve hitch is raised and lowered by a bar connected to a plate mounted on the rock shaft which is moved by the implement lift cylinder. The mower deck must be removed when a sleeve hitch is installed for full operation. A Case/Ingersoll rototiller can also be mounted onto a 3 point hitch using a sleeve adapter.
    Case/Ingersoll rototillers have a hydraulic motor which is supplied hydraulic oil under pressure from the engine driven pump thru an accessory rear hydraulic PTO.
    These are the basic necessities, but there are more!
    The tractor itself will need rear wheel weights, added weight on the front and the addition of a belly pan to increase cooling airflow thru the hydraulic oil cooler.
    Many rototiller operators have installed an accessory oil flow control valve which allows the operator to slow down the ground speed of the tractor while tilling as controlling the tractor ground speed with the normal travel lever control is difficult to do as the engine needs to be at full throttle to operate the tiller effectively.
    You need to know all this to make a better decision as to getting into all this or an alternative.

Thanks
    Thank you. That is great information. I am looking forward to working with this machine. Grew up with Craftsman, Cub Cadet and a Wheel Horse all of which were glorified lawn mowers. This is my first tractor, my son and I want to enjoy the work it will help us with. Again thanks for the information. This forum has already assisted me more than Google. Glad I found you guys.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hardhead18 For This Useful Post:

Gordy (10-17-2020)