Hello folks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello folks

Thanks

Hello folks

Just picked up this Ingersoll 4016 that was my grandfatherís hadnít been used in at least two years. If I recall he ran into some issues with the battery dying when he was cutting and put it into his barn then had some dealer look at it. My dad bought him a Craftsman that summer and there it has sat until today.

Well the hydraulic oil was completely empty after filling it it worked. Amp light still comes on it seems to be putting out something like 13.5v according to my tests. Not sure what the issue is with either. If the hydraulic oil is leaking itís pretty slow and Iím not sure how I would find out where.

Anyone know what the vanguard is supposed to put out voltage wise?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Welcome 114
    Sorry to hear about your granddad
    Have you seen any oil leaking if not park it on some cardboard
    When you get time to check out our forum we have great info
    and even better members to try helping you out,
    so find the right section and ask away, ok.
    Enjoy your time here and thank you for joining our group.

bigman

Thanks
    Hello man114,

Welcome to the CCI site, you will find a wealth of information here from the members as well as several dealers who can supply new OEM and aftermarket parts plus technical support.

If you are measuring 13.5 volts DC at the battery when running it sounds like your charging system is functioning correctly. The amp light on the dash panel is driven by a voltage sensor and is not always an indication of charging system malfunction. Often the voltage sensor that turns the light on is the culprit, we do have them in stock under part number C31617.

Here is a link to that item: https://www.casegardentractorparts.c...617sensor.html

Please feel free to contact us directly by PM or the information supplied below, we have years of experience with these tractors.

Glad to have you as a new member,

Bob
    www.casegardentractorparts.com
    [email protected]
    (815)286-3920

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman View Post
    Welcome 114
    Sorry to hear about your granddad
    Have you seen any oil leaking if not park it on some cardboard
    When you get time to check out our forum we have great info
    and even better members to try helping you out,
    so find the right section and ask away, ok.
    Enjoy your time here and thank you for joining our group.

bigman
    Didn’t notice any oil leakage yet but it was largely empty so I filled it back up I’ll know more in the morning when it’s bright out.

My grandfather enjoyed this tractor, it was always an argument between him and my dad about this or a John Deere and he had preferred his old Case so he bought the Ingersoll despite it being kind of expensive. I probably helped convince him of it because I told him he was the one who’d have to use it, not my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by myerslawnandgarden View Post
    If you are measuring 13.5 volts DC at the battery when running it sounds like your charging system is functioning correctly. The amp light on the dash panel is driven by a voltage sensor and is not always an indication of charging system malfunction. Often the voltage sensor that turns the light on is the culprit, we do have them in stock under part number C31617.
    Yeah it was somewhere between 13.3 and 13.5 at the terminals. I can test it better tomorrow and run it longer.

anyone know if you use longer oil filters on the vanguard of the same specs like I do on my non vanguard Briggs?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,332 Times in 854 Posts
    Hello man114,and welcome to the group

If you have not found the manuals yet, Click on "Forum" in the black header above and scroll down to the "Technical Library". You will need the PIN (Serial)# to get the correct manuals.

You said you filled the hydraulic oil, two questions. 1, How full? It should be 5-6" down from the top of the neck to allow for oil expansion as the oil heats up. 2, What oil did you put in it? These don't use hydraulic oil, instead 20w-40 is called for. Most of us use 15w-40 it is cheaper and easier to get.

Gordy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordy For This Useful Post:

bigman†(10-18-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    Hello man114,and welcome to the group

If you have not found the manuals yet, Click on "Forum" in the black header above and scroll down to the "Technical Library". You will need the PIN (Serial)# to get the correct manuals.

You said you filled the hydraulic oil, two questions. 1, How full? It should be 5-6" down from the top of the neck to allow for oil expansion as the oil heats up. 2, What oil did you put in it? These don't use hydraulic oil, instead 20w-40 is called for. Most of us use 15w-40 it is cheaper and easier to get.

Gordy
    Yeah I left it 5 inches down or so I read it somewhere when looking to see if they even made 20w-40. I was gonna order the oil for store pickup to save time and ran across a post about it. I just got cheap Traveller 15W-40 from tractor supply in case it has been a burst hose but the leak obviously wasn’t massive since I was able to drive it around for an hour.
    Last edited by man114; 10-18-2020 at 01:15 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to man114 For This Useful Post:

Gordy†(10-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,049 Posts
    Welcome aboard. I hope you find the forum informative and entertaining.

Brian
    Salem Power Equipment
    Plymouth, MI 48170
    https://salempwr.com/online-store/ingersoll/
    [email protected]

Site sponsor, Parts Dealer BarnImp.1662's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 805 Posts
    Hello & Welcome man114, Congrats on the 4016 (Great Machine) We are Glad to have you here with us & hope you enjoy this great site. We are all here to help. & we are just a phone call away. Take Care From Bill & Charlie at Barneveld Imp. 608-924-1662 (The Parts Guys) www.barneveldimp.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 819 Posts
    Welcome man114 !!! Great to have you here. Congratulations on getting your grandfather's tractor an keeping it in the family. Please post some pics when you're able to.

Enjoy the site
    Capt Dan

Thanks
    Used it again to round up the leaves today, nothing of note to report issue wise, worked fine. The cap vent hole of the hydraulic oil was blocked which may have in some way caused the low fluid, didn’t appear to use any though in the last two days.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to man114 For This Useful Post:

Gordy†(10-19-2020)