6xx foot control on 3xxx or 4xxx tractor?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

6xx foot control on 3xxx or 4xxx tractor?

Wondering if anybody has ever tried to put the 6xx series foot control linkage on a 3xxx or 4xxx tractor? Would be nice to have foot control for snow plowing.

I know the 42xx series had foot control but cannot find a parts diagram or part numbers....

Would be interested in any photos or ideas around this. Are there parts available for the 42xx tractor that can be used to upgrade a 3xxx?

I have a 3014 parts tractor that i am considering this modification to see how it works.

Might turn into the first part of a dedicated 3014 loader build - but think i need to start with foot control, then front axle, then subframe, then loader..... If only i had unlimited time :-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 620 Posts

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdunt For This Useful Post:

curtisfox (10-23-2020),Gordy (10-24-2020),Maine Willy (10-24-2020)

Thanks
    really cool build, and i like the ingenuity. Thank you for sharing your post. The part that i like about the 6xx foot control is that it uses the "travel lever" to control direction and the foot pedal depresses for speed in both directions. Not sure if there is enough room in the 3xxx or 4xxx for this type of linkage though.

Still wondering how they did it on the 42xx series.

Thank you though! Great build!

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDenison View Post
    Still wondering how they did it on the 42xx series.
    Same general concept as the loaders, with the hand lever controlling fwd/rev against a pivoting/slide element.

But rather complicated and precise parts, of which there is no logical way a home fabrication could replicate them. OK, OK ... some of our forum members could build the tractor from scratch, no hating intended!

If you are intent on a fabrication job, there are at least 3 or 4 good concepts very members have built.

Brian

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bhildret For This Useful Post:

dundee222 (10-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,573 Posts
    Just a thought here. Big heavy winter boots, especially in a tiny cab, are not very adept at finessing a foot control, especially if it involves 2 pedals. Unless you put in really heavy springs to return it to neutral it would be kind of like stepping on a plum.
    Last edited by dundee222; 10-24-2020 at 06:13 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dundee222 For This Useful Post:

david.barkey (10-24-2020),Eugene Slagell (10-27-2020),Harry (10-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 620 Posts
    The pedal idea is good, but IMO does not go far enough, you want an extension on the back side so you can push down with your heal for reverse, or similar.. His design is very motorcycle gear shift centric, press down, pull up.

What you want is a rocker that you can push the front down with toes for forward and push down the heal to go reverse.

I have the loader with the banana crap.. Having to shift from forward to reverse with my hands when I am digging and loading is a PITA.. Why Case did not go with a single pedal for forward - reverse, I don't know.. there was probably a lawyer involved somewhere..

Modern Greene machines have a toe pedal and a heal pedal, that are separate, but you press down on either one of them to go forward or reverse. That's a slick setup in my mind.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sdunt For This Useful Post:

david.barkey (10-26-2020)

Thanks
    Frankie has best of both worlds . Hand and foot controls . And yes I use them both . Big boots are problem , but being a smaller guy and a nice warm cab for the winter (sealed up front with CO. detector ) I am able to drive with a light weight winter boots . Being able to have a hand on the steering wheel and one on the loader controls is a god send when using the loader .
    Dave

Thanks
    I like the foot control versus the hand control. I have had extensive time using both types and while the foot control is not perfect I would choose it.
    I would give the nod to the hand control for mowing. Making lots of 3-point turns with a foot control Ingersoll takes a moment longer to do the 2 movements of changing the direction control and then depressing the pedal. Both of my tractors (3018 & 4223) have power steering, so that is not materially different.
    But, doing tasks that require simultaneous steering, operation of the lift, and travel control (plowing, snow blowing, rear blade) is definitely easier for me with a foot control.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,224 Posts
    Tractors with the rocking foot speed and direction control are hydrostatic drive tractors which they all are now unless they have a manual gearbox and a clutch. Some hydrostatic drive tractors have a V belt drive to the hydrostatic unit or units, some have a driveshaft driven hydrostatic unit. Hydrostatic drives have an internal positive displacement pump, aka the charge pump, a rotary variable angle plate with pistons that have the ability to vary the speed and direction of the drive gearing. During this process some torque loss is experienced.
    Most Case/Ingersoll tractors have a large capacity direct engine connected positive displacement pump, the output of which goes to the travel control valve which controls the flow rate and direction of flow using two outputs connected to a reversible drive motor which drives the two speed transaxle, minimum torque loss if any at all. Due to the compact size of Ingersoll tractors, direction and speed control have to be done with two separate controls.
    And yes I know that some folks have adapted a single foot operated control on their Case/Ingersoll tractors and I did this years ago on a mid 70s 446, but it wasn't a setup that I would have put out to the general public by any means!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,224 Posts
    As for 600, 6000 and 7000 series tractors, they all have the forward, neutral and reverse control using the L/H lever and the R/H foot control for ground speed control utilizing what is commonly known as the banana plate. I had to replace the banana plate assembly and some related parts on my 6018L and have had to do some fine adjustments to smooth out the system operation. The adjustment process can sometimes take a while due to system settling in after replacing the major parts and operating the tractor. These tractors do not have a neutral detent in the travel control valve, so finding actual hydraulic neutral can be difficult and require several readjustments over time of operation.
    I have had the opportunity to drive several 4200 series tractors, but not been able to remove the belly pan to look at the direction and speed controls as these were new tractors for sale at dealers. When I operate my 6018L for long periods and get back onto my 4018, I have to quick think about which tractor I'm on, but I'm old! LOLAnd then I get onto my ZTR which is another breed of machine!
    Last edited by Bob MacGregor; 10-27-2020 at 11:07 PM.