Switch lever position - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,058 Posts
    In your first post, you noted that jumping directly to the starter worked fine. Therefore seems very unlikely to be a starter/starter solenoid issue.

Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,359 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doc8254 View Post
    Thanks for responding! Yes, it starts and runs with the jump. It has been working fine with the new ignition switch. Lately I had to try the key a few times before it would connect. Are the levers in the correct position or do they go on top of the actuating lever? The bulb is good!
    Sorry I did not notice this earlier "Lately I had to try the key a few times before it would connect." Reminded me of a member having a click no spin on an onan starter, here's the link. Might be worth a look

https://casecoltingersoll.com/showth...arter-question

Gordy

Thanks
    Sometimes the starter just spins without engaging the flywheel and sometimes it works fine? Thanks Brian...maybe it is the switch? I'll putz with it today.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanks for that referral! Lotz of info there!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Sometimes the starter just spins without engaging the flywheel and sometimes it works fine? Thanks Brian...maybe it is the switch? I'll putz with it today.
    If the pinion gear on the starter is not reliably extending, typically a shot of WD40 on the nose of the starter will make great improvements.

Brian

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bhildret For This Useful Post:

doc8254 (11-20-2020),dundee222 (11-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bhildret View Post
    If the pinion gear on the starter is not reliably extending, typically a shot of WD40 on the nose of the starter will make great improvements.

Brian
    Just curious ... I thought I read somewhere that liquid lubes should be kept away from the starter.

I know WD40 is more solvent than lube and I use it too but wouldn't graphite be better for this application?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

doc8254 (11-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 1,565 Posts
    You need a solvent [I have used brake cleaner or carb cleaner] to dissolve and flush out the dried dirt/grease that is causing to bendix to stick on the splines. I have never used graphite, but I would think that a little would be ideal for the now clean splines.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dundee222 For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (11-20-2020),doc8254 (11-20-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1mn2 View Post
    Just curious ... I thought I read somewhere that liquid lubes should be kept away from the starter.

I know WD40 is more solvent than lube and I use it too but wouldn't graphite be better for this application?
    Yes you don't want to use anything that is going to leaves a oily residue to collect dirt. After they have been cleaned. I have tried spray graphite, it comes out wet but dries quickly. The only issue was I must have put too much on, as when it dried there were some ridges that needed to be worked out. Another one I tried is spray silicone that I use on paddle locks. It comes out wet, but quickly dries to a thin white residue. Both have worked well.

Gordy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordy For This Useful Post:

doc8254 (11-20-2020)

Thanks
    I think I have done all that was suggested above and still nothing when I turn key to Start! I checked the voltage at Blue wire that goes to the Solenoid and it was 12.5 approx. No click either. I'm at a total loss of what to do next!

Thanks
    I think I have done all that was suggested above and still nothing when I turn key to Start! I checked the voltage at Blue wire that goes to the Solenoid and it was 12.5 approx. No click either. I'm at a total loss of what to do next!
    You are getting 12.5 at the Blue wire, but may not be getting the amperage to trip the solenoid. To test that, hook a jumper to where the blue wire connects to the solenoid, then touch it to the battery +. If the starter works, you will need to go through everything again, or install the relay that was in the link I posted.

If the starter does not work with the jumper to the solenoid, your problem is in the solenoid. They do fail. Test with the multimeter set to Ohm's and check for continuity from where the blue wire connects to ground. If high resistance the solenoid is bad, if low resistance it may just need to be torn apart and cleaned.

Gordy