Lil Creampuff - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lil Creampuff

Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,072 Posts
    Back together. Cranks over. Can't fire it up, until the hyd. filter gets here. Lights work now.

I did loose one part though. Not sure what its called.

Its a rubber insulator, that protects the spark plug wire from rubbing on the tins. I looked in the Briggs manual but it is not making itself obvious. Anyone know the proper name?

EDIT,

Grommet #690744
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 11-09-2020 at 02:57 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Today is a waiting for parts day so I'll finish checking lighting wires, get supplies for auxiliary grounding and hopefully complete that. Make a PTO heat shield and give it a wax.

The hyd. filter is supposed to come late today. If so, I'll hear it run, check on that possible exhaust leak and bleed the hyd. system.

Thunderstorms today and tonight so, probably not much driving around but if I have time and the weather permits, it'll get the Seafoam aerosol treatment and then an engine oil and filter change.

Then comes carb adjustment if needed and valves adjusted but that will be for tomorrow. Heim joints are supposed to be here today and the center pin on Fri. New lights on Sun.

Barring bad news, it'll be ready to swap decks and put it in service then. The 4020PS, with an RM60 and if desired, a 54 blade, to be posted for sale shortly after.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 11-10-2020 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks
    It runs. It even seems to run well. Once warm anyway, starts at the touch of the key, at an idle. No hesitation throttling up. Drove it a couple laps around the yard, both side slope and up n down then in high gear up the road a ways and back. I'm not sure about an exhaust leak. With the fan blowing, I couldn't tell. Can't hear it either but I'll try to check more closely.

Never got out to get the grounding supplies but I did get the blank made for the heat shield, waxed it and bled the hyd. system. Shifts sweetly. The sky got ugly and I decided to wrap things up and call it a day. Beat sideways rain by about 30 seconds. Its pouring now.

More to do but I'm calling it a win.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

Gordy (11-10-2020)

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    The plan for today ...

Check for leaks from overnight.

Get the supplies to augment grounding and mount the heat shield. The wire and connectors won't be a problem but getting the right bolts might be. A lot and perhaps all fasteners on VGs are metric head sizes but I'm not as certain about thread count and pitches. I had enough laying around, to take care of the 4018 but less sure of that for the 3016.

Fog the engine with Seafoam aerosol. Gonna use a piece of carboard placed in front of the muffler to collect what carbon it spits out. In part, to protect my fresh wax job but also just to see. On an Onan, there was loads. Same for a trimmer. On a VG powered 4018, none but that one may have been a fresh short block. This one, is obviously not fresh.

Couldn't find a factory steering wheel cover, so I'll make one.

Install the heim joints and belly pan.

If there is time after that, I'll drive it around some more and then change the engine oil and filter.

Thanks
    "Fog the engine with Seafoam aerosol. Gonna use a piece of carboard placed in front of the muffler to collect what carbon it spits out. In part, to protect my fresh wax job but also just to see. On an Onan, there was loads. Same for a trimmer. On a VG powered 4018, none but that one may have been a fresh short block. This one, is obviously not fresh."

I guess VGs really do run cleaner than Onans.

Before Seafoam treatment.

DSCN0817.jpg
    After. Including the hot soak and repeated revving.

DSCN0818.jpg

When I did the Onan, that would have looked like a Jason Pollok painting.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

CobyDog$10 (11-12-2020)

Thanks
    Newer overhead valve engine designs do run cleaner and are more fuel efficient for sure. But I still have a soft spot for flat heads.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CobyDog$10 View Post
    Newer overhead valve engine designs do run cleaner and are more fuel efficient for sure. But I still have a soft spot for flat heads.
    I'm sure I'll miss the brute power of the Onan in the 4020PS and power steering spoils you rotten but I won't miss reflexively grabbing the fender on slopes. On the test drives with the new 3016, there was none of that and once I finish tricking out the steering system, I think it'll be OK. Especially since its a so much lighter engine than my old Kohler was.

Thanks
    I'm sure you will like the new tractor with the VG. To date I have not had the opportunity to run a VG powered tractor.

Hopefully I won't need to repower the 446 anytime soon.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CobyDog$10 View Post
    I'm sure you will like the new tractor with the VG. To date I have not had the opportunity to run a VG powered tractor.

Hopefully I won't need to repower the 446 anytime soon.
    Well, not that I have all that much experience per se ... I've used the VG in the 4018 for utility work mostly. Keeping the drive in shape, hauling, garden work and built those swales last yr. so if ground engagement is the hardest thing we do to them, it handles all of that with ease but you can just feel the power in an Onan, that isn't there with the VG. Either is smooth but an Onan sounds way cooler. More like a 4 stoke motor cycle, than a lawn mower. The VG is a lot harder to strip for cleaning and decarb but apparently needs the later, less.

Edit.

OTOH, valve adjustment is way easier on the VG vs. Onan but may need it more.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 11-12-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks
    Adjusted the valves and installed the auxiliary grounding from engine to frame and PTO to frame.

Tomorrow, the hvy. duty axle pin, heim joints and finish the heat shield for the PTO.

Getting closer.

The new lights are supposed to come Sun. but they've said that for several days and still haven't confirmed shipment so ...

I'll play with the new tach and read up on carb and governor adjustments if needed.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 11-12-2020 at 09:27 PM.