Lil Creampuff
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lil Creampuff

Thanks
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,068 Posts

Lil Creampuff

1997 3016

No, its not mint but garage kept, with hardly a scratch and the grill isn't beat up like so many.

Far as I know, all it needs is a fuel solenoid and something is wrong with the lighting circuit. I'll go through it on the typical things and upgrade the steering, like I've done all the others. The deck needs some attention but I plan on putting my mulching deck on it anyway so, plenty of time for that. I may even have to spring for a factory steering wheel cover, instead of the homemade one I put on the 4018.

DSCN0780 (2).jpg
    DSCN0776 (2).jpg
    DSCN0777 (2).jpg
    DSCN0778 (2).jpg
    DSCN0779 (2).jpg
    DSCN0781.jpg
    DSCN0782.jpg
    Its got some hrs. on it but last I heard it run, couldn't tell that it was anything short of perfect.

DSCN0786 (2).jpg

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

baybilly (11-10-2020),CobyDog$10 (11-03-2020),dbeiter (11-01-2020),dundee222 (11-05-2020),Gordy (10-31-2020),Harry (11-01-2020),tss8690 (10-31-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Turns out, Lil Creampuff wasn't so clean elsewhere.

https://casecoltingersoll.com/showth...-Fuel-solenoid

Engine cooling fins were full of debris. Found while stripping tins in prep to replace the fuel solenoid. The underneath wasn't unusually bad but much too cruddy for my tastes, for working on anything hydraulic, or replacing the fuel lines so, a brush n solvent and several more power washings later and its pretty decent now.

Stripped the fenders, rear plate and gas tank, in prep to change fuel lines and noticed a little side slop in the rear end. I have an extra shim, from when I tightened up the 4018 so figured what the heck. That far in, may as well use it and check the differential bolts while I'm at it. I knew there would be mission creep.

Anyway, removed the brake, loosened the lines to the drive motor, pulled the plugs on the trans and TCV and removed the end caps and holding valve spool. Letting it drain overnight.

Tomorrow, I'll clean and reinstall the spool and hopefully, install the shim. Then run new fuel lines, adjust the valves and be well on the way to being ready for parts, as they come in over the next week or so. If things work out, I'll be mulching leaves with it before the weekend after next.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

dundee222 (11-05-2020),Harry (11-05-2020)

Thanks
    Holding valve disassembled and cleaned. It was clean. Nothing more than the usual small amount of grey film, inside the caps.

DSCN0803 (2).jpg
    I don't think any of this is directional but its a good habit to keep things that way anyway.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 11-05-2020 at 09:26 AM.

7. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    In case someone hasn't seen inside a thousand series transaxle.

DSCN0804.jpg
    Closer,

DSCN0808.jpg
    Here, if you know what you're looking for, you can see the circlips that must be removed in order to pull an axle.

DSCN0808 (2).jpg
    You use 2 punches, one on each end and strike them at the same time, to force them out of the retainer.

Like the 4018, the right axle is where the most slop is, so that is the one I'll remove and add a shim.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

CobyDog$10 (11-05-2020),Gordy (11-05-2020)

Thanks
    Wheels are back on the ground and the hydraulics is buttoned back up. Solenoid and filters came today. About to fetch fresh oil, fuel line and fuel filter. Dipstick tube seal is supposed to come Sat night.

Still need to read up on and adjust the valves and I want to make a PTO heat shield like I made for the 4018.

I might be using this thing come Sun. A week ahead of schedule.

Thanks
    Parts snafu puts me back to late next week at the earliest.

So today,

Check the lighting wires.
    Install new fuel line and filter.
    Fill the trans with fresh gear lube.
    Reinstall the fenders, brake etc.
    While its still up on blocks, may as well lube every thing underneath.
    Clean the cooling tins, in prep for reinstallation.
    Various odds n ends and there is plenty more but you know, pace yourself.

I do have a question ... This is the oil fill side. Is this the signature of an exhaust leak, or just burnt on, spilled oil that won't even come off with a brass brush and gasoline?

DSCN0811.jpg
    The other side is free of that stain.

DSCN0812.jpg
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 11-06-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Thanks
    Parts delay and temps in the 70s at this time of yr. has had other demands on time.

The fuel line is done, trans filled, checking lighting wires as I move forward on the tractor, dipstick tube seal replaced and I'll finish buttoning up the fenders this morn.

That stain is a tough one. I may work on that some more today as well. What ever it is, the thicker chunks can be chipped off. Sometimes leaving semi clean aluminum underneath them. Think I'll dose it with penetrating oil. May as well. Don't think it'll hurt and if it is an exhaust leak, I'll feel better about it anyway.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 11-08-2020 at 06:17 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,085 Posts
    Hi Dave,
    Nice looking tractor.

Looking at this picture, it looks like perhaps the exhaust gasket is allowing some exhaust leak, with perhaps some oil that was on there and crusted on due to heat. Would it be safe to say that there's more of that under the fins, versus on top the fins?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Hi Dave,
    Nice looking tractor.

Looking at this picture, it looks like perhaps the exhaust gasket is allowing some exhaust leak, with perhaps some oil that was on there and crusted on due to heat. Would it be safe to say that there's more of that under the fins, versus on top the fins?

Hi Lionel! I'm still not sure what it is and won't, until I fire it up but whatever it is, PBBlaster has done the best job at loosening it, so that a little more scraping and wire brushing, has gotten it this far.

DSCN0813 (3).jpg
    It may still be an exhaust leak but there is no corresponding stain on the inside of the hood so ...

Thanks
    Fenders re-installed.
    More cleaning on that stain.
    One last power washing.
    Plugs cleaned and re-gapped.
    Tractor greased and lubed.
    Another carb cleaning, just for good measure.
    Ordered the heim joints and HD center pin.
    Cleaned all the tins and fasteners.
    Installed the fuel solenoid.

TIP = Without the flywheel shroud removed, its basically impossible to feed the solenoid wire per factory, under a wire tie around the intake manifold. Took a piece of elect. wire the proper size to fit the female plug, fished it through the wire tie, stripped the end and taped the connection. A little feeding, jiggling and gentle pulling, brought it right on through.

Tomorrow, we'll see if I took enough pictures, to put the jigsaw puzzle of the tins and linkages back together.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 11-08-2020 at 06:40 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

dundee222 (11-08-2020)